• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BX-4 McKinley HD, new version (1 Viewer)

I have a pair of these on the way from Leupold and will post my impressions.

Don't hold out much hope on that one. The new McKinley has some diopter issues they need to fix first. It is delayed until they get it right. Kind of a bummer in some ways, but I think it is the correct decision to get it right then release the binocular. ;)

Don't hold out much hope on that one. The new McKinley has some diopter issues they need to fix first. It is delayed until they get it right. Kind of a bummer in some ways, but I think it is the correct decision to get it right then release the binocular. ;)

It's a big problem to integrate the focus and diopter together.

I tried to get a date out of the CS rep on the phone, but he couldn't say. Technical problems in a new product launch (well upgrade) are a bummer for sure, and my guess is this may affect Leupold's future with their supplier, but I agree it's much more important to get it right. I'll happily wait it out.

I must say I like the new svelte look and styling. :t:

I wonder if they're lighter than the 822g listed as this seems about the weight of the old ones?

One thing that is not svelte though is the new price! Brock will have a coronary!

Peeps should not be put off picking up a circa $400 bargain on the series I, especially if they have average to large hands (though not XL), and wear eyeglasses, which pretty much negates those eyecup size issues, and makes use of that circa 20mm eye relief.

Chosun :gh:

I believe these are the new ones on these pages:

http://www.leupold.com/new-products/

http://www.leupold.com/observation/binoculars/bx-4-mckinley-hd-binoculars/bx-4-mckinley-hd-8x42mm/

Granted this looks like a computerized concept and could see changes...

I think you're right about the graphics being "concepts." The photos/graphics are confusing. If you click on the first link and go down to the McKinley, you can see that the eyecups are not as deep, though flatter, not tapered like the original (they got it half right), but when you click on the image, it takes you to an image of the first model with the chunkier eyecups.

Same confusion with the second link. The photo on top shows the new, shallower eyecups, but as you scroll down to the description they show you a back view with the thumb rests, and the larger, deeper eyecups have magically reappeared.

The barrels also seem slimmer than the original version. Not sure if this resulted in a weight reduction, didn't do the grams to ounces conversion.

Brock

Anybody heard when these might be available?

Wondering this also...

I would have thought Steve or protanope would have some and posting impressions but not yet (?)

I notice some dealers are showing and claiming they are selling the latest model (119281 and 119282)...

I have not had much of a chance to hardly even think lately. I'll try to remember to call my Leupold guy tomorrow and see what is up. ;)

I'm starting to study and ponder my next purchase (likely a 10x roof prism)...maybe I'll be the test case for the new model (???)

The new McKinley is done and is shipping this week. They have a 500 unit back order log to deal with. Mine should go out today, maybe tomorrow, anyway I should see it by Wednesday or Thursday.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back