• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Alpha reloaded (1 Viewer)

typo

I need to reststart this thread now one or two things have been sorted out.

The new Opticron Alpha ED is a limited edition product which will only be available over the counter in bricks and mortar stores, and not online. It's not a full fledged member of the Opticron line-up and won't be shown on their web site.

I should own up and admit I did have a brief look at one when I stopped by Opticron HQ recently. My memory might be unreliable but I found it a fairly light, single hinge design with a reasonable, if not generous FOV. Ergonomicaly it worked well for me and my glasses. I didn't spend time comparing it to other models, but I suspect the Explorer WA Oasis-C I reviewed might have had the edge on a couple of points. Then the Alpha does offer ED glass, but I have seen more convincing results. I thought a good honest binocular, for what I understood might be the likely selling price. It sounds like you might have to actually visit a store to find out what that is.

David

David,

Interesting, but odd. Why bring out a temporary line over the counter only and not put it on the website? Is it some sort of trial? Perhaps a batch that was offloaded to Opticron?

Anyway, they sound like they will be attractive at the price point. I think I would prefer the Oasis prism coatings than the ED glass.

I gather it's something Opticron does from time to time, including using the Alpha name amongst others. I really don't know the particular circumstances behind this offer.

David

I am intrigued by the concept and background to these offerings.

I have found an 8x42 non ed here

https://www.telescopehouse.com/opti...oculars.html?gclid=CJv0hvmP7dECFbEW0wodrSUBsA

and there is an ed version on ebay uk at the moment, and yet another at a bricks and mortar store.

I have seen no reviews.

I thought limited editions were mostly of special versions of existing quality binoculars.

I have found some specifications but no details of country of manufacture nor of warranty.

Any information would be appreciated.

The Alpha sub-brand, like the Adventurer and Piccolo sub-brands, are used to differentiate models from Opticron-branded items. Typically these models are used by us to provide different sales channels with different price points - not quite the same as Seat/Skoda/VW/Porsche but you get the idea!

You will notice on the box shown in the Telescope House listing that the product is labelled as "by Opticron". That was another model that was sold primarily to bricks and mortar stores and did not appear on the Opticron website. It is now discontinued.

The same is true for the Adventurer and Piccolo lines - they are marked as "by Opticron" and do not carry the Opticron logo on the product itself.

The Alpha ED has a limited production run hence the Limited Edition notation. It is a current model and available in 8x and 10x. Stockists will have specifications and pricing on request.

HTH

Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back