• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding in Playa del Carmen, Mexico (1 Viewer)

jibbs

Hello all.

I'll be spending next week (Feb. 20 to 24) in Playa del Carmen, Mexico. It's primarily a big family beach trip, but I am hoping to spend a morning birding, and would find it far more rewarding if I could tag along with someone who knows the area.

Seems like a long shot, but is anyone local? And free to spend an hour or two showing me around?

I would also heartily welcome any and all guidance about good birding spots, or what I might expect to see this time of year. I'm less inclined toward shorebirds -- have a particular interest in warblers -- but am open to all.

About me: I'm mid-30s, live in New York, and am a newer, easy-going birder.

Consider a day trip to Punta Morelos. Good boat snorkeling trips, beach swimming and while family is doing sports you can have a birding outing. I researched this when in the area early December, but I was too early. if you are there between Jan and March Alma Libre Bookstore used to run or post about weekly bird outings. monday or Tuesday, I think. Email them and ask. You can get there by combi bus.
Or if you decide to fork out for a guide, I recommend Luis Ku Quinones with Motmot Birding out of Cancun. He'll come and get you in PDC. If you start emails ahead, he may be able to get you into another group to reduce costs. 5a.m. - 1:30-2 p.m. Roughly.
(lacking coffee. Just saw your dates. Short and short notice so migt not work) I was further up the coast in a very green resort so it had its own bird list of close to 200. You resort might have a shorter list. If you use it at all, check out HotSpots in the area via eBird. I always use a hotspot map for likely locations when on vacation. Check the list of a likely spot and you can review some of the bird online if no Mexico book. A number appear on my iBird North American app....if you happen to use apps. Any greenspace is going to have something different to the shorebirds on the beach. Playacar looks promising.

Last edited:
Consider getting the ferry to Isla de Cozumel, and doing it as a day trip. Ferries every half hour or so I think. On Cozumel follow coast road north from jetty and after 6 or so km you hit good habitat for the Cozumel endemics (Emerald, Vireo (and Wren)), and several other good birds. Cozumel is non-birder tourist friendly too...plenty of non-birding day trippers from Playa del Carmen!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back