• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sketches from Portugal (1 Viewer)

Poor owl! But your drawing is great. I think it's a strange feeling to draw or paint a dead bird. I had the experience with a poor pigeon slaughtered by a cat in our garden.
It's always interesting to know what kind of paints or other materials other artists use. Yours a fascinating mixture O:)

Ulrike

I would like to know your opinion about this plate. It represents an adult and a juvenile of Black-winged Kite Elanus caeruleus.

View attachment 332428

Hi Paulo

I think the subject and artwork is great, nice natural lines and colours. I would only question the composition: I think the juvenile bird on its post alone against that landscape, with perhaps a flying bird in the background would be more powerful and evocative, leaving the perched adult for another work.

Steve

Yes, a sad subject indeed, but youve paid tribute in the best way possible with this beautifully rendered piece.

Russ

Very nice post mortem study.

The youngster could easily have died from malnutrition, just not enough food being brought in by the parents. Often one of the parent birds will be killed, possibly the victim of a car or some such, which leaves the remaining parent with a mamouth task if there are a number of chicks still dependent. Especially if they are as well grown as this one, they demand a lot of food!

Mike

Hi Paulo

I think the subject and artwork is great, nice natural lines and colours. I would only question the composition: I think the juvenile bird on its post alone against that landscape, with perhaps a flying bird in the background would be more powerful and evocative, leaving the perched adult for another work.

Steve

Hi Steve,
thank you for your comment. I agree with you, and most of my friends told me that. Sometimes we just don't see our mistakes...

Hi all! It's been a long time since I came here. It will take some time to get all the news...

Here's a Watercolour of a juvenile Pallid Harrier seen in Sagres (Portugal) this year.

11 - Cópia.jpg 11 - Cópia (2).jpg

Great bird! Allways a pleasure to observe.

Cheers! B :)

I saw a juvenile in England this Autumn. Fantastic piece Paulo!:t:

I'll upload some Portuguese stuff from our trip in September...Eventually!

Truly excellent work here, Paulo. The bird's structure and plumage are both spot on. A technical masterpiece, if you will.

Russ

. . . and I saw one in my garden!!! - Fabulous work Paulo - your visits to the art department mey be infrequent, but they are always inspiring. A real treat to view!

Very nice Paulo. I really like the sense of light in this one. It's not the primary part of painting but it definitely adds something.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back