• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lens advice please. (1 Viewer)

02pepe47

I am seriously contemplating upgrading my main birding lens, I currently use a Sigma 150-500mm telephoto lens with a D90 body & do get reasonable quality images.
Looking for better IQ, my current preferred replacement is to go for a Nikon AF-S ED VRII 200-400mm + TCE 1.4x converter.
A hefty investment so would appreciate some advice in relation to the choice before committing, also like to know whether or not the internal focussing(IF) addition is worth the extra cash?
Many thanks in anticipation of your best responses.
Pepe

You will get various responses depending on the writers preferences/prejudices.
My take on this is that the Nikkor 500mm F4 is about the same size and weight as the 200-400 but gives you the extra 100mm in focal length-which for birding is vital.
The zoom does give you a bit of flexibility at times, but when I had a 100-300 zoom, I was almost always using it at 300mm, and I wish I'd just gone and bought a 300 in the first place.
Another option which is favoured by some is the 300mm F2.8vr with a 1.7 or 2x converter. I use this combination quite frequently as a general walkabout wildlife lens, but I do have an old manual focus 500mm f4 which I sometimes use with both 1.4 and 2x converters when I think I will need the extra reach.

i have used the 200-400 and the 500f4, and the latter wins hands down, for my type of birding.
depends on your type of birding??

Look around on the web for Raymond Barlow's work, including on the birdforum.net's gallery pages. He's done some outstanding work with the 200-400 Nikkor.

Jim

redshank and ptarmigan taken with 200-400
black redstart and uplands sandpiper taken with 500f4

Attachments

• redshank 1.jpg
    redshank 1.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 76
  • ptarmigan 9.jpg
    ptarmigan 9.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 67
  • black redstart 1.jpg
    black redstart 1.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 77
  • upland sandpiper 7.jpg
    upland sandpiper 7.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 77
Many thanks for your knowledgeable responses, much appreciated & after looking at the Raymond Barlow stuff will be in better shape to make my mind up.
Great comparative shots Dave, makes me realise at least either option should be worthwhile.
Thanks again for all the feedback.
Pepe

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back