• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Redheaded Woodpecker Surprise! (1 Viewer)

JMomOhio

Today I saw a pair of Redheaded woodpeckers for the first time in at least 6 years!! The last time was in the winter and we only saw it for a few days! Do they breed in Ohio? I couldn't seem to find any info.

Can't answer your question, but that is a nice yard bird to have.

Just curious because I read that they will take over other bird's cavities, eat the eggs and nestlings. I have a red Morph screech owl I have been watching for months and was worried the woodpecker might invade the owl's cavity. :( Beautiful woodpeckers tho!

We've got at least three different kinds of Woodpeckers in our yard. The red headed ones are entertaining. They like to come up and eat from our feeders and don't mind letting us know when they're empty. They sound like little jackhammers pecking on the empty feeder and won't stop until someone goes out there and refills it. We actually saw one sitting on the edge of one of our birdbaths and drinking the water from it. We'd never seen them do that before :)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back