• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Manfrotto 190 leg problem (1 Viewer)

MarkHows

Mostly Mammals
I have a carbon fibre Manfrotto 190 cannot see exactly which model the numbers have worn off. The serial number is still readable

The issue is that when I put the three legs out in a tripod fashion one of the legs will not stay in place, the pivot at the top of the tripod seems loose for that leg. Does anyone know how to adjust / take apart.

I will post a photo later

This is nothing to dop with the leg levers.

Any help appreciated.

Mark

Hi Mark,
I may be wrong here.... but I'm sure I have seen this on a friend's tripod. Underneath the top of the tripod near each of the leg pivots are some small (I think allen key socket head) screws. Nipping these up slightly tightens up the leg tension. If it is the leg angle "lock" not engaging, then a touch of lubrication to the mechanism might help.

Worth a try,

Scrapper

Hi Mark,
I may be wrong here.... but I'm sure I have seen this on a friend's tripod. Underneath the top of the tripod near each of the leg pivots are some small (I think allen key socket head) screws. Nipping these up slightly tightens up the leg tension. If it is the leg angle "lock" not engaging, then a touch of lubrication to the mechanism might help.

Worth a try,

Scrapper

Thanks, Looks like you are right, just have to work out how to get the head clamping mechanism out first.

Mark

Hello Mark, I've seen the 190SX PRO4 for sale and I'm wondering what it's like. It's on offer for £219 including a 804RC2 head. Do you know if this is a good price/combination?
I don't use a camera I just want the tripod for my 'scope. I've gotten through more tripods than I can remember so I'm hoping one of these will last a bit longer.
How do you rate yours? Any information would be appreciated.
Regards R.M.
I have a carbon fibre Manfrotto 190 cannot see exactly which model the numbers have worn off. The serial number is still readable

The issue is that when I put the three legs out in a tripod fashion one of the legs will not stay in place, the pivot at the top of the tripod seems loose for that leg. Does anyone know how to adjust / take apart.

I will post a photo later

This is nothing to dop with the leg levers.

Any help appreciated.

Mark

I don't have that head I have a 128RC. But the tripod I use as a travel tripod as it is very light being carbon fibre. As it is only the 3 section version it is quite short so I need to extent the head column, and I am only 5'10 tall so I would check the height if you are tall, but the 4 section may be taller then the 3 section.

I have a 055 as my regular tripod and prefer this.

Hope that is of some use.

Mark

Hello Mark, I've seen the 190SX PRO4 for sale and I'm wondering what it's like. It's on offer for £219 including a 804RC2 head. Do you know if this is a good price/combination?
I don't use a camera I just want the tripod for my 'scope. I've gotten through more tripods than I can remember so I'm hoping one of these will last a bit longer.
How do you rate yours? Any information would be appreciated.
Regards R.M.

A friend of mine has one of these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triopo-Ca...69?pt=UK_Tripods_Monopods&hash=item4cfda98c01
It's not perfect but it is excellent for the price. It is basically a Gitzo ripoff, but a reasonably good one. I have compared it directly to my Gitzo 2531 and in most respects it is pretty good at 1/4 the price.
A better option would be this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FEISOL-CT...Camcorder_Stative_Zubehör&hash=item20ca9043d5 (another friend has one of these).
I am assuming that you use a scope with an angled eyepiece, if not then these may not be tall enough depending on your height.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back