• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Tripod design from Giotto (1 Viewer)

It does give a smaller cross section but I prefer a wider cross section as even a small increase in width can greatly increase torsional rigidity. I have compared Gitzo Moutaneer, Systematic and "NEW" Systematic tripods all in 3 series. Each one has a more widely spaced top leg mounting than the former and has greater torsional rigidity, yet all have the same legs.
Food for thought?

It does give a smaller cross section but I prefer a wider cross section as even a small increase in width can greatly increase torsional rigidity. I have compared Gitzo Moutaneer, Systematic and "NEW" Systematic tripods all in 3 series. Each one has a more widely spaced top leg mounting than the former and has greater torsional rigidity, yet all have the same legs.
Food for thought?

Not having done any sort of comparative test, I can't comment, but like most things I guess it's a trade off in this case between portability and rigidity. Personally, I love it because it seems such an elegant design!

It certainly is a very neat solution to the girth problem.
Personally I am quite demanding of my tripods due to the weight of my gear and the focal lengths I use so I am biased towards rigidity and light weight at the expense of other factors.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back