• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fake 6x24 binoculars (1 Viewer)

Binastro

1. The simple point I make is that the new Comet 6x24 Centre focus model does not look at all like the Komz 6x24.

The disparity in the size and shape of the top plates of the prism housings of the old Komz lookalike model and the Bedell 6x24 Individual focus model that I illustrate by my photo is indeed large.

But putting the image of the top plate of the Bedell 6x24 Individual focus model up against the image of the top plate of the new Comet 6x24 Centre focus model at:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COMET-6x24m...482674?hash=item2cafd43b72:g:5IgAAOSwMtxXrZh~ ,

that is the top plate that the new Comet model has got.

2. Equally Allbinos measure the field of view of the Comet 6x24 Individual focus model in spite of its small top plate at 9.10 +/- 0.04 degrees.

And nobody claims that the Komz lookalike, in spite of a large top plate, approaches the 11.5 degree field of view of the real thing.

But it's wrong to argue when the issue is one that measurement will hopefully in due course resolve beyond controversy.

3. Aoxiang catalogues six pages of Comet models of binocular at:

https://aoxiang.en.alibaba.com/prod...html?spm=a2700.8304367.0.0.nEzUXY&isGallery=Y

The old Komz lookalike centre focus model appears under model number AX19 at Page 3. The new centre focus model appears under model number AX24 at Page 4.

We shall see in due course whether the Komz lookalike model remains in the catalogue.

Stephen

Last edited:
Binastro

I noticed the other day that one vendor is selling the new Comet 6x24 Centre focus model branded 'Mauser'. Reach for your tin hat! Old habits die hard!

Stephen

The 6x24 Mauser and the other fake, the so called Russian 6x24, were the two I bought and cancelled when I realised they were scam binoculars.

Just done to fool people into wasting their money.

Today I noticed in cloudy weather that the 8.5x44 Swift HR/5 and the real Russian 6x24 both show ghost images from or of their prisms in daylight. So this is seen in the day and at night.
A lot of rain and windy today.
Faintish rainbow.

These binoculars really look good at the photo. So easy to be deceived. But apologize if I missed information in the thread: if they are not 6x24; what are they?

Hi Swedpat.

They are probably near to 6x24, although I cancelled the order, so haven't seen them.

But the Russian 6x24 (Chinese fake) is not Russian and also has a much narrower FOV than the real thing.
The Mauser is usually a rifle, not sure if they actually made binoculars. The name may have been bought, but to deceive potential customers.

Barr and Stroud, for instance, are not the original, but at least the old firm made binoculars, as do the new. So in my opinion valid.

The Miranda camera name was bought by Dixons, but still optics.

Hi Swedpat.

They are probably near to 6x24, although I cancelled the order, so haven't seen them.

But the Russian 6x24 (Chinese fake) is not Russian and also has a much narrower FOV than the real thing.
The Mauser is usually a rifle, not sure if they actually made binoculars. The name may have been bought, but to deceive potential customers.

Barr and Stroud, for instance, are not the original, but at least the old firm made binoculars, as do the new. So in my opinion valid.

The Miranda camera name was bought by Dixons, but still optics.

Ok, thanks for info!

When it comes to 6x24 I find it as an attractive format. I would like a high quality compact roof prism model of 6x24!

Thanks Stephen.

Actually, about what I expected from these fake Chinese binoculars. At least the one marked Russia.

I am not sure about using a Nikon 100mm f/2.8 photo lens at f/4 as a test objective. Too different from a normal binocular objective.

The eyepieces should be much wider field.

Different colour coatings on the two tubes of Russian made binoculars are common, although maybe less different than on this Chinese example.
This aspect doesn't show up visually.

With around 1,400 binoculars and a lot of research into binoculars trade marks, brands, and distribution (the website miniaturebinoculars.com) I think there is a general widespread misunderstanding about binoculars brand name rights, which is legally regulated by trademarks (which are specific to country, to product class, to the dates maintained in effect, and also specific to either word or typeface/ logotype). The nature of binoculars is now and has been since WWII mostly contract manufacturers (first Japan, now China) producing binoculars with any name that the purchasing exporter, importer, distributor etc. wanted put on them. The only restriction has ever been a direct word trademark or a direct typeface/logo trademark infringement in importing into the specific countries where the specific trademark for the specific product class was maintained in force. Deceptive marketing has always existed as a sales mechanism, including all the German sounding brands having nothing to do with Germany. But in the same way that importers like Bushnell, Tasco, Swift etc. buy binoculars from contract binocular manufacturers with their logos put on, or that a product name licensee of Winchester or Smith and Wesson, or the NFL, or Audubon can today have that logo placed on contract binoculars, any importer of binoculars into any country where there is not a current trademark conflict can have binoculars with any name put on them. So if someone wants to import binoculars marked "Bird Forum" they can easily do so. And if they don't have the clout to deal with the manufacturer, they could order through the promotional merchandise firms who arrange the corporate marked give away gifts, which includes binoculars. Since Mauser did not make binoculars there would be no applicable trademarks, except perhaps for a logotype word trademark used for licensing in some countries, and the "Mauser" branded binoculars I have seen did not use that logotype. It makes it more deceptive brand marketing,rather than fake product. And if whoever own the rights to the Mauser logotype licenses the use, then not fake at all. By the way the "made in" labels are very not straight forward either, so for example some "made in USA" stuff is 100% China made but partly assembled in the USA to a certain value, or merely packaged in the USA with USA printed instructions.

So, what about 30x60 or60*60 binoculars?
That are actually 8x21.
Is this fraud?

or 30-260x160 binoculars that might be 80mm or 60mm aperture?
Is this fraud?

And the numerous falsehoods on Ebay, Amazon etc.
Is this fraud?

B.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back