• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binoculars or Monoculars (1 Viewer)

EanMaith

My son and I have a nice pair of binoculars (Swift 8x42) (a gift from grandma).
My son is 10.

I am considering getting him his own binoculars, or a monocular. This is something that we would both end up using, or sharing.

Our price range is $40 to $100.

First off, is a monocular really worth it? Do you really get better power for less money?
I have heard that they are hard to hold steady.

If binoculars are the way to go, do they sell binocs with a place to attach a tripod or monopod? That would help.

Thanks.
Mac

My son is 10.

I am considering getting him his own binoculars, or a monocular. This is something that we would both end up using, or sharing.

First off, is a monocular really worth it?

"Worth" is personal to everyone, and therefore a subjective evaluation. Certainly there are good products, and not so good products. Most of the monos that I have seen are IMO not worth their price.

Do you really get better power for less money?

Possibly. Since binos and monos come in many price ranges, it would be easy to come up with that combination.

I would not say that any hand-held optical device is "hard to hold steady". However, I find binos easier to hold steady as compared to a monocular.

If binoculars are the way to go, do they sell binocs with a place to attach a tripod or monopod? That would help.

Most larger binos (42mm and up) have a socket to attach a tripod mount. Some are proprietary, most are not. You can also buy a universal strap mount for a tripod which will allow you to use any bino, whether or not it has an adapter mount.

Thanks.
Mac

Monoculars have their place, but the ability to view with two eyes instead of one makes the binocular much more comfortable to use, especially over longer periods of time, such as when birding. Personally, I would get a smaller porro-prism bino for a 10 y.o., as it would be IMO be easier to use. Something like a Leupold Yosemite or Vortex Raptor would be near perfect, and can be found in your price range.

Monoculars have their place, but the ability to view with two eyes instead of one makes the binocular much more comfortable to use, especially over longer periods of time, such as when birding. Personally, I would get a smaller porro-prism bino for a 10 y.o., as it would be IMO be easier to use. Something like a Leupold Yosemite or Vortex Raptor would be near perfect, and can be found in your price range.

Spot on advice. Consider getting the 6X versions too. I often carry a monocular for work travel, but that's about it.

Thanks.
Are the Leupold Yosemite or Vortex Raptor lighter, and therefore better for kids?
If so, I could let the kid have the Swift, since it is lighter to begin with.
If there is a heavier model (for an adult) that would be better for power, what would you recommend, under $100?
Thanks.

My son is 10.

First off, is a monocular really worth it? Do you really get better power for less money?

Thanks.
Mac

Hello Mac and welcome to BF! :hi:

Phil's positive words are knowledge, experience and wisdom all rolled into one! :t:

I have the BX-1 Yosemite 8X30 and also recommend them highly. Their ergonomics are wonderful for a 10 yr old (especially if he can handle the Swifts 8X) and their optics are excellent. They should easily carry him well into adulthood. On top of all that, they are weather proof and come with a life time warranty from Leupold (in Oregon, just around the bend from you)!

If possible, a quick trip to your local Cabela's (or Dick's SGS in Maine) can confirm their fit and handling for your son!

Ted

Last edited:
Unless he has a very dominant eye, you're better off with binoculars, as they are more stable to hold and have a better view. The only reason to get a monocular is their compactness.

Hi,

the usual suspects Leupold Yosemite / Kowa YF / Opticron Savannah in 6x30 or 8x30 have been mentioned, if the question for a tripod mount was caused by the Swift 8x40 not being stable enough for him, choose the 6x version.

Another nice albeit slightly out of budget version would be a Pentax Papilio 6.5x21 with the added value for close-up bugwatching. It is smaller but less sturdy than the others, so choose this only if he keeps good care of stuff... my godchild likes hers.

Joachim

I have experience with several monoculars and my opinion is following.

Advantages with monocular:

*Smaller size and weight(may be good for some purposes)

*More discrete holding in the hand compared to binoculars hanging around the neck when you are walking around and want an instant access to the view.

*No collimation issues

Disadvantages with monoculars:

*More difficult to hold steady. Therefore I find 6x a good magnification

*The viewing comfortability and enjoyment is not as good as using both eyes

*Usually more difficult to focus than a (center focused)binocular

I have experience with several monoculars and my opinion is following.

Advantages with monocular:

*Smaller size and weight(may be good for some purposes)

*More discrete holding in the hand compared to binoculars hanging around the neck when you are walking around and want an instant access to the view.

*No collimation issues

Disadvantages with monoculars:

*More difficult to hold steady. Therefore I find 6x a good magnification

*The viewing comfortability and enjoyment is not as good as using both eyes

*Usually more difficult to focus than a (center focused)binocular

I'd agree with this. Especially the disadvantages, to which I would add that aiming and finding a target is far more difficult with a monocular.

I would absolutely love to own and use a monocular, unfortunately nobody has managed to make with the same FOV as a binocular, they always have small field of view.

Glanz 7x40 close focus monocular 9.5 degrees marked and probably fairly accurate.

Also Zeiss, Russian etc.

Plenty of W.A. monoculars.

P.S.
Celestron 6x30 Outland monocular. Stated 10.5 deg. Probably a bit less. About £40.

Most independent eyepiece binoculars can be separated to make 2 monoculars.

The Dowling and Rowe 4x22 would make two 16.5 deg measured field monoculars.

There are quite a lot of old micro Japanese EWA monoculars.

Last edited:
Swedpat

1. I use a Glanz 7x40 9.5* monocular sometimes for feeder watch. My feeders are nearly in the same plane. I have used a Helios AMD+ 8x32 7.5* in the field in the past. I have trained myself to use two-eyed viewing, and keep the non-monocular eye as far as possible open all the time. I am right hand and right eye dominant.

A report of the experience of a long term user of monoculars would be much more valuable than the report that I am able to supply. But specific reports by anybody seem to be rare on the Forum.

I agree with your comparison of monoculars and binoculars, and add to your list as follows:

2. Advantages of monocular:

* (In favourable circumstances of direction and quality of lighting) two-eyed viewing:

There is not usually a great concentration of birds locally or in my garden, so systematic study is not possible. But as far as I can tell the open eye retains peripheral sensitivity to fast movement even when the elected image to view is the monocular image.

It is possible as an exercise to overlay the magnified image through the monocular eye exactly over the image through the open eye. And the brain can more usefully also hold and present both images either at the same time, or alternately, when the two eyes view separate images: in the latter case one switches between images with a slight blink.

But the whole point of magnification is to assist the location and appreciation of a small image. When the trees are in leaf, or the direction and quality of lighting is not favourable, the option of also viewing through the open eye is not a great advantage of the monocular.

The potential advantage of a peripheral sensitivity of the open eye to fast movement outside the field of view of the monocular does however remain

* Compression of planes:

As follows below, 'Compression of planes' will usually count as a disadvantage of monoculars.

But when observing the interaction of birds at a busy time at the feeders, eg when a flock arrives, I find when using the Glanz 7x40 9.5* monocular that the combination of the compression of planes, a good depth of field, and a wide field of view makes it easier to follow activity, and is an important advantage.

My feeders are about 12 metres away from the house. By comparison in the circumastances a binocular might also afford the same 'fixed focus' wide angle view as the Glanz, but it would weigh up to twice as much, require the use of two hands, and not compress planes

3. Neutral:

* Spooking:

I haven't to date clarified which of my optics spook birds less. My local or garden birds just don't like being looked at at below a certain distance. I don't seek to tame them. I fear it is not too healthy for the birds where I live for them to be too trusting. But I would like to be able to watch them a little closer

4. Disadvantages of monocular:

* Reduced apparent image size:

The reasons for this I leave to the optics experts

* Compression of planes:

Inherent in a single ocular.

Probably more often in the birdwatching task confuses than clarifies the image that the brain has to appreciate and interpret

* One-eyed viewing:

According to the direction and quality of lighting, very often when using a monocular one must hold the non-monocular eye shut.

I certainly don't find this comfortable for long.

However to an important extent the discomfort can be overcome by two-eyed viewing.

I don't treat this above as an advantage of two-eyed viewing, because it is rather the removal of a disadvantage.

But part of training oneself to view two-eyed is to train oneself when concentrating upon the image through the monocular eye to disregard the image through the open eye.

* Two-handed holding:

Quite often, in order to steady the monocular, or to shield it from side light, one must use two hands.

In particular, as Bill Cook has pointed out, one way to steady an optic is to hold it by the far end of the barrel. If a monocular is steadied in this way, it then must be focussed by the free hand.

So one of the important advantages of the monocular over the binocular is lost.

Stephen

Last edited:
I would absolutely love to own and use a monocular, unfortunately nobody has managed to make with the same FOV as a binocular, they always have small field of view.

The Leica Monovid is exactly one half of a 8x20 Ultravid BL.

The Nikon High Grade 5x15 and 7x15 are pretty nice as well.

* Spooking:

I haven't to date clarified which of my optics spook birds less. My local or garden birds just don't like being looked at at below a certain distance. I don't seek to tame them. I fear it is not too healthy for the birds where I live for them to be too trusting. But I would like to be able to watch them a little closer

Hi,

it seems you would really profit from a little scope or high powered binocular on a tripod in that situation. 15-20x should be fine. Or some stabilized bins.

Joachim

Joachim

Thank you for the suggestion!

I am constrained in the house because I can only move a further 8 metres back from the garden window (ie some 20 metres distant from the feeders). At that distance the birds are less readily spooked, but still seem, unless preoccupied with feeding or squabbling with other birds, to notice quickly that they are being looked at.

Locally I use a small 10x30 roof or a good 10x24 compact (I have just bought the old angular-bodied slow-focussing Pentax reverse porro model) for more distant viewing.

I have a Turist P pocket scope (8-20x32), which I support by a Finnstick for use at 15x plus magnification. But a scope is not 'discreet' enough for urban woods or parkland when there are many people around, as there usually are here. I draw enough attention to myself when using a small binocular. And then there is the issue with scopes of a narrow field of view.

Spooking seems to be a general problem where birds have reason to fear people. I read somewhere that birdwatchers in Italy tend to prefer 10x binoculars for general use to 8x binoculars for that reason.

I hope you live where birds are more trusting!

Stephen

Joachim

Thank you for the suggestion!

I am constrained in the house because I can only move a further 8 metres back from the garden window (ie some 20 metres distant from the feeders). At that distance the birds are less readily spooked, but still seem, unless preoccupied with feeding or squabbling with other birds, to notice quickly that they are being looked at.

Locally I use a small 10x30 roof or a good 10x24 compact (I have just bought the old angular-bodied slow-focussing Pentax reverse porro model) for more distant viewing.

I have a Turist P pocket scope (8-20x32), which I support by a Finnstick for use at 15x plus magnification. But a scope is not 'discreet' enough for urban woods or parkland when there are many people around, as there usually are here. I draw enough attention to myself when using a small binocular. And then there is the issue with scopes of a narrow field of view.

Spooking seems to be a general problem where birds have reason to fear people. I read somewhere that birdwatchers in Italy tend to prefer 10x binoculars for general use to 8x binoculars for that reason.

I hope you live where birds are more trusting!

Stephen

Maybe an alternative would be to try to get them used to your presence.
A scarecrow style dummy propped near the window perhaps?
Alternatively, there are inexpensive reflecting films that make the window dark from the outside, but you can still see through them.
More broadly, is it common in the UK for birds to be so skittish constantly?
Or does the absence of shooting sports here in NYC make our local birds more trusting?

Hi Stephen,

wow, the birds seeing you through the closed garden window 8m inside an unlit room seems kind of unbelievable... the window should act like a mirror...

My "garden window" or rather the balcony goes out to the river with a bird sanctuary on the other side, so I have lots of grey herons, cormorants, some black kites and the occasional kingfisher on the other side and of course your usual assortment of geese and ducks depending on season.
But since the far bank is 170m away, spooking is a non-issue (at least by me, sometimes boats get way too close). For that an 80mm spotter is ok but not super close - sometimes my astro refractors get pressed into service for closer views.

On my side of the river there's a tree and a bike/walking path but since there are lots of people on that, good views are seldom to be had...

But in general birds are rarely being hunted over here plus I'm in Frankfurt, were shooting usually takes place near the railway station, so that might be the reason, why the birds are trusting.

Joachim

Last edited:
Do red coated binocular objectives scare birds?

There are lens attachments that have a mirror so one views at 90 degrees to the subject.
Should work on a monocular.

I used to use a cardboard box over my head for astro work to prevent stray light and reduce light pollution.
Might work for birds.
Although in the park one might get arrested for some offence. Or have the men in white coats visiting.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back