• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

EOS 50D, it's officially announced (1 Viewer)

I was about to cry after reading the review, and having coughed up for the 40D not that long ago, but the price difference is massive really. I'll be sticking with the 40D for a bit longer...

I am waiting to see if its noise control at 15mp is anything like what canon are claiming. If it really can perform well with noise (without degrading overall quality and sharpenss of a shot) then it could be an interesting camera

I reckon the price will drop to be competitive with the Nikon D300 (available for £930) fairly quickly. I will be amazed if the noise is not excellent.

I was about to cry after reading the review, and having coughed up for the 40D not that long ago, but the price difference is massive really. I'll be sticking with the 40D for a bit longer...

I recently bought a 40D, but I'm not too bothered about the 50D as it's out of my price range at present. Maybe next year...

I hope that Canon have a camera to take on Nikon and regain some ground they've lost recently.

I think they will have to drop the price as hav just read in amateur photographer that the 5D mk2/6D is rumoured to be announced for release in november and many people will not want to pay £1200 for a crop camera when a new full frame one has just been released at probably only a few hundred pounds more?

I recently bought a 40D, but I'm not too bothered about the 50D as it's out of my price range at present. Maybe next year...

I hope that Canon have a camera to take on Nikon and regain some ground they've lost recently.

Nikon have also just announced a new D90, but I don't believe it will be in direct competition with the Canon 50D...it will however give anyone buying into either system more choice, and that type of competition is good.

Bill

I think they will have to drop the price as hav just read in amateur photographer that the 5D mk2/6D is rumoured to be announced for release in november and many people will not want to pay £1200 for a crop camera when a new full frame one has just been released at probably only a few hundred pounds more?
Would have thought that 5D update would be more than just a few hundred more.

the RRP for the 5D is about £2500 if i remember correctly.

I suspect the rrp will fall fairly quickly, but something to remember is the 50D is not intended to replace the 40D its in addition too apparently ?

Sounds tempting Nigel, but after the 1D launch problems think I might wait a while.....
Too right, especially as this seems peculiarly rushed and apparently borrows AF technology from the MkIII. Maybe it is guinea-pigging solutions intended for the MkIV (hence the rush).

Then I'll wait to see if the 1d MkIV isn't really the right thing ...

Then I'll wait to see if the price on that drops enough to tempt me ...

Then new choices will come along ...

Truth is, my 30d is a damn good camera, and I've just bought enough sensor cleaning materials to keep going for years. My backup 300d still give cracking results too (but too slow for birds).

Can't help wondering about the balance in final results from using a 1.3 crop with a better sensor vs. a 1.6 crop with a less excellent sensor. It is really difficult - I have had some really pleasing results with a 1.6 crop and a 2x TC using MF. The 1.3 crop sensor would have to be much better to be able to be blown up that extra wee bit _and_ persuade me to part with all the extra dosh. That should keep me swithering (and not spending money) for a good while yet !

Best solution would be to forget about photographing birds then I wouldn't be tempted by extra speed (asp AF), better high ISO performance, more MP to blow up ... and be happy :)

Mike.

I've been saving for the 40D (in addition to the 20D already have); but now, oh what a dilemma! The 50D seems so impressive; but the cost is prohibitive..

Would have thought that 5D update would be more than just a few hundred more.

I had heard a rumour it was going to come around £2000 but i could be totally wrong as most of it is just rumour...

Too much money for me at the moment, I think it will come down reasonably quickly
in the next 6 months, seeing as there is not much money about in this credit crunch.

This is the useful feature I have been waiting for AF Microadjustment C.Fn III-7
+/- 20 steps
Adjust all lenses by same amount
Adjust up to 20 lenses individually I think the 50D is going to be a winner.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back