• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My wildlife art (1 Viewer)

just thought i'd post the latest page from my 'nature journal'
to show I do draw things other than birds :)
it's of a male and female common blue damselfly- ignore my scrawlings :-O

PICT0001.JPG

Little ringed plover watercolour, using my own photo as inspiration -
(please ignore the murkiness of the image, it is the lighting when I took the photo not the actual painting)
PICT0006.JPG

and some very quick sketches of a blue tit and a blackbird in the garden
PICT0001.JPG
PICT0002.JPG

the blue tits didn't work :-O but I think some of the blackbirds are ok

some more field sketches done today
black headed gull chicks:
PICT0102.JPG

grey heron:
PICT0100.JPG

my first ever spoonbills, 3 dozing next to each other!
PICT0099.JPG

mallards and tufted ducks
PICT0098.JPG

coots

Attachments

• PICT0097.JPG
    PICT0097.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 32
Enjoying some of the life studies, Nature. There's some nice flowing lines in your recent sketches, particularly the baby BHG's and the spooners. Keep plugging away and posting; it'll be interesting to watch your develoment.

Russ

thank you everyone for your kind comments.
heres a very quick heron watercolour I did this morning
PICT0021.JPG

and a mallard mother and ducklings , I spent a lot longer on...
PICT0018.JPG
this was the scene I saw shortly before a fox turned up! It didn't catch any ducklings though, they had a very lucky escape, the fox turned to look at me and splashed off into the reeds!

All this sketching from life is working wonders, and you've got the foundations of a very interesting and individual style developing through the more finished work too. Keep at it!

Mike

Thank you Tim and Mike,
I think you're right, the field sketching has helped me develop a different style for my finished paintings and drawings. :)
Going to Bempton cliffs for the first time this weekend , so hopefully, if I manage some decent photos, I'll have some interesting subjects to paint and draw :)
*fingers crossed for puffins*

I cannot believe how long it's been since I posted on here. It's shameful! I hadn't even thought about it until a couple of days ago. Oh well, I hope to post regularly from now on.
Here are a couple of things I've painted over the past few weeks:

a puffin and some meadow wildflowers, both painted with watercolour and defined with fineliner pen, and then I played around a little with them on photoshop! I quite like the old paper affect.
PUFFIN PAINTING ETSY.jpg
MEADOW FLOWERS ETSY.jpg

I agree with Tim - the plant piece is exceptional, and the paper effect you put in it fits perfectly.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back