• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bar-tailed lark or desert lark in Mauritania (1 Viewer)

pietern2

In northern Mauritania, close to the border with Western Sahara, I found a bunch of these larks. Because of the uniform grey-brown mantle, I think it is either a desert lark or a bar-tailed lark. My best guess is the latter, because of:

- Size and colour of the bill
- Ruddy coloured tertials (dark grey-brownish with desert lark)
- Streaks on the breast not very obvious
- Environment (flat desert with sand and pebbles)

But this is could also be a typical bill for a desert lark, and the streaks on the breast might just as well be too clear for a bar-tailed lark. I do think the dark tips on the tail are too diffuse for a bar-tailed lark?

Attachments

• DSC_5580_modified.jpg
    DSC_5580_modified.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 96
  • DSC_5577_modified.jpg
    DSC_5577_modified.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC_5571_modified.jpg
    DSC_5571_modified.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 87
I agree Bar-tailed Lark and I think that the bill is way too short and stubby for a Desert Lark and also the wrong colour. The tertials are the right colour for BTL. I wouldn't like to comment on the tial without seeing it spread but structurally this bird is Bar-tailed as well.

Cheers

Roy

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back