• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oslo, Norway (1 Viewer)

omuire

Hi,

I took this from my kitchen window in Oslo today (February). Is it a juvenile goshwak or something else? It appears to be eating a pigeon carcass.

Attachments

• Goshawk.jpg
    Goshawk.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 245
Looks like a Goshawk to me too. Apparent white eye brow and narrow black bands on the tail.

* Looks like it could not eat another beak-full (bulging crop)!

Fantastic!
Thanks for that. It was a strange sight for me as I have no idea how common it is for Goshawks to hunt in such urban areas (this lightly forested area area is only about 12m wide between a hospital and apartment block). I thought it was a young Gull at first!
I think you're right about it being full Larry. It flew off not long after this shot carrying as much as it could in its talons and beak. The Magpies have been enjoying the scraps ever since!

In hard weather Goshawks can be found in more unusual places. Hunger takes them places into which they wouldn't normally frequent: i.e. estuaries and fringes of urban areas, where prey species are themselves finding food. Young birds like this would also be prone to wander. Nice record!

In fact, i believe in urban Stockholm Goshawks are more common than Sparrowhawks... Goshawks are pretty often seen downtown. Great birds!

I once saw one flying over the city centre while waiting for a ferry to Finland, quite high up admittedly. To some extent they play a similar role to Peregrines in British cities in that they've found out that feral pigeons are a good food source, something the Stockholm Sparrowhawks have also discovered.

Last edited:
I believe they breed in town parks in Holland and Belgium, as well. We have to go looking for them here in UK - thanks a lot, Gamekeepers!!!
Chris

I believe they breed in town parks in Holland and Belgium, as well. We have to go looking for them here in UK - thanks a lot, Gamekeepers!!!
Chris

I don't think gamekeepers have been killing them in our towns and cities, Chris! ;)

I know not all gamekeepers are lovely... but goshawks are slowly recovering and are not persecuted as much as they were. I'm not a gamekeeper and I don't shoot - but I also know that gamekeepers can be good guys, too.

Ken

PS - great photo. Thanks for posting.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back