• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds seen in Nanchang city, Jiangxi province, China (1 Viewer)

mjgrunwell

My first three months in Nanchang have produced some reasonable birds.
Two major sites in the city, Aixi lake and associated parkland and the fish ponds and parkland of Elephant lake.

Getting around is easy with cheap taxis, bird numbers not high but you do get to see some nice birds such as daurian redstart and red-flanked bluetail in late autumn.

Attached is my city list for the first three months, 95 species so far. I have not yet included mallard as those at Aixi lake have a high plasticity factor.

Only big trip was to Rudong county north of Shanghai, first week of Oct, where in two days I cleaned up on all my wanted asian waders (spoonbill sand, Nordmann's, Far-eastern curlew and eastern black-tailed godwit) only Oriental plover and asiatic dowitcher still wanted. Many migrant passerines seen there including flocks of whites thrush.

Hope to make my first visit to Poyang lake in the next few weeks, though the sibe cranes won't arrive till the end of November.

Keep you posted.

Attachments

• Nanchangbirdsto31Oct13.xlsx
    13.8 KB · Views: 62
An interesting list for an inland city that has not been well covered.

Look forward to hearing more about Nanchang and any other birding you do while you're in China.

Cheers
Mike

Rosy starling

I was surprised by finding an adult winter bird in mid september but when I asked Mr Ling, the local expert, he said they were regular in winter. Clearly the range shown in the China guide is a little on the pessimisitic.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back