• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

6x - 7x hunting bin recomendation (1 Viewer)

Very well, sorry to waste your time.

Hi,

I feel you will get some good advice here on BF. I don't see the need to go to a hunting forum. There are hunters here who will be happy to advise, I reckon.

I'm not a hunter but I'm happy to chip in. What's you budget?

Best wishes
Martin

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your input. My budget is around $500 or so. So far, I like the Vortex Fury 6.5x32, the Viper 6x32, the Leupold yosemite 6x30 and the Zen ED2 7x36 but really have very little experience with binoculars. My father buys nothing but Leupold for everything so I cant get an objective opinion from him.
My priorities are rugged, durable build (im hard on gear), good optics and a lifetime warranty.
Terrain will range from very cold and wet to snow at high altitude to dry arrid plains.

Thanks again for any advice, it is greatly appreciated.

Josh

Sorry i cant really help with any advice,I only ever use 10x but i think you are asking in the right place and are more likely to get more advice than on a hunting forum.There are plenty of people on here that hunt and plenty that dont that will still be happy to help if they can.

Hello TheDude,

Are there any reasons why you favour a six or seven power? Most hunters seem to want eight or ten. I ask to get an idea of your needs. Incidentally, all other things being equal, an eight provides better twilight viewing than a six or seven of the same objective size.
Basically, a roof binocular should be more rugged than the Leupold 6x30. Also center focussing Porro binoculars, like the Yosemite, are not usually considered suitable for hunters, as they are not properly sealed. Roof prism binoculars are often waterproof.

Enjoy nature,
Arthur Pinewood

Hi Martin,

Thanks for your input. My budget is around $500 or so. So far, I like the Vortex Fury 6.5x32, the Viper 6x32, the Leupold yosemite 6x30 and the Zen ED2 7x36 but really have very little experience with binoculars. My father buys nothing but Leupold for everything so I cant get an objective opinion from him.
My priorities are rugged, durable build (im hard on gear), good optics and a lifetime warranty.
Terrain will range from very cold and wet to snow at high altitude to dry arrid plains.

Josh

Hi Josh,

I don't experience of any of the bins you mention but from what I have read on here, the Zen Ray 7x36 would be at the top of my list. Read lots and lots of good things about them and the very wide filed of view appeals to me a lot.

I think ZR have a 28 day return policy and they are extremely helpful so if you don't like them you can just send them back.

Good luck
Martin

Hi Martin,

Josh

Hi Josh,

Being from the Pacific NW myself, I understand exactly why you want a 6x or 7x- it is a great glass size for the type of forests that we hunt in. I am also a bowhunter. You can get some great info on this site, because there are a # of hunters who look and respond here. Other sites that I would recommend is the" 24 hour campfire" in the hunting optics section and "optics talk forum". But you will find with out a doubt the most detailed optic info right here on the bird forum; so I think that you are in the right place to ask ?'s. I did not get to read your original post because you edited it before I had the chance to ( I assume you did that after you got that rude introduction to the forum reply to your posting).

What I use is a 7x30 Swarovski SLC (no longer made, so that will not help you) and I really love my 6x32 Vortex Viper and it fits all the criteria you are looking for. I had the Leupold 6x32 Katmai and I thought it was good until I tried the Viper. I then sold the Katmai. I love Leupold optics, but in this size the Viper is far better glass IMHO.

If you want to PM me, I can give you some possible insight on how a good place to buy a New Viper.

By the way here is a link to a good review on the 6x32 Viper and the Zen Ray 7x36 ( they are both from another site that is geared for hunters):

Viper- (My Fav.)

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=20739

and the Zen Ray:

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=21463

Good hunting

Stephen

Josh - Go cheap and get the 6x30 Yosemite. Good DOV, sharp resolution, good FOV, with 5 MM exit pupil bright enough in dark places, nice and light, and rapidly becoming my knock around binocular. Six power is adequate in the woods. Spend the extra $400 on something else. I hunted for over 60 years and it was the rare circumstance that required more power than 6-7. Hunters are a fickle group and tend to over power themselves with optics. John

Yes, there are plenty of apple orchards in Wenatchee!

I prefer the lower magnafication for stability of image.

I've had 8x Pomaster ELX's and 10x Zen Ed's in the past. Both were great binoculars but were difficult, at least for me, to hold still for long periods.

I think I will order a pair of Yosemites for now and keep looking at some 7x's. I like having a couple bins with me anyway, at least one in hand and one back at camp.

Thanks for the input everyone, I really appreciate it.

And yes I do read both the optictalks forums as well as 24hr campfire, thanks again!

Josh

Hi Martin,

Josh
Hi Dude.... I have owned three of the four mentioned & handled the Leupold. All verygood glass in their price range. I never gave the higher end Leupold glass much of a thought until I happened upon a pair of Leupold 8x32 Golden Ring HD. I liked them so much I sold the others. They are the best built, the best glass my eyes have seen & easy to hold steady due to their heavier weight. You can get The HD version between $500 to $650, with the Non HD as low as $299. You might want to re-think what your dad had to say about a Leupold....gwen

Gwen,

He has the 8x32 non HD among others and I have looked through them. How funny would that be if I ended up buy a couple Leupold bins after all this....he'd never let me live it down! I am going to buy the Yosemites for sure and then look around for a second set. I will consider the 8x32 Leupolds too...Thanks!

Josh

I'm from the Dark side of the mountains but have hunted both sides. If I was spending more I would get the switch powers from Leupold or Leica because I like 7x but once I find something I'm longing for more power!
That said, I've owned the Swift Eaglet 7x36, Yosemite 6x30's and Fuji Polaris 7x50's. All are more than adequate. Haven't seen the Zen's yet, but the 7x36's sound like a winner. I find the zrs hd 8x42's interesting because they are physically smaller than the others. The eaglet's are amazingly compact. I think Steve has the newest ones for sale at the 24hourcampfire. Highly recommended.
I've had some mid to low priced roof 7x42's and I find the image too soft for my taste.
Hope you find what you'll be looking for!

if you can swing it, the SLC new 7x42 is the best 7x42 I have looked through and that includes the FL, meopta, and ultravid. however they are heavy and are a smidgen less bright than the FL's but the edge to edge sharpness is awesome

Why not have a look at the 7x42 SLC NEUs is the For Sale section. I had a pair of the pre NEUs and they were superb - better than the Vortex, Leopold's etc - I've tried most of them.

Paul

Well....I ordered the Leupold non HD 8x32's today from CDNN and have the 6x30 Yosemites on the way as well. Dad is happy, hopefully I will be too. I think I will try these two for a while and then consider the ZR 7x36's if I feel like I need (or just want)them.

Thanks to all for your advice, it is much appreciated.

Josh

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back