• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best buy around 25-28mm? (1 Viewer)

I just got a Pentax 9x28 DCF LV and a Pentax Papilio 6.5x21.

My thoughts:

9x28 DCF
Pros: very sharp and bright especially at long distance, rugged, light, compact and waterproof. A great allaround outdoor bino.
Cons: sometime give me blackouts maybe the eycaps but I think I can get used to it.

6.5x21 Papilio
Pros: very sharp and bright, fits my face easier with no blackout and at close work it's outstanding.
Cons: it's bit bulky, seems more delicate and not waterproof.

They have a very different FOV and power but even the lower FOV of the 9x28 (294ft/1000y ards) is not noticable and fit the magnification nice.
Another thing is that with ~15mm eye relief I could not easily use any of them with glasses.

Anyway I'll keep both, they are very usable. To throw in the backpack I'll go with the 9x28 and around the house/garden I'll use the Papilio.

I'm impressed with performance size ratio of compact binos and I'll probably get some more to test with other magnification and size.
I'd love a more pockatable Zeiss 8x20 Victory when I find a good price for it ;)

Attachments

• IMG_9670.jpg
    IMG_9670.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_9671.jpg
    IMG_9671.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 112
Last edited:
Yes, I think the 28mm format has potential. There are not enough to give competition in that area. Maybe a 8.5x28 might be ideal for that size. To get wide field. But the 8.5x little Steiner does not appeal to me.

I am going for the Taiga 8x25. I really like the good reviews it has received and also the price ;) Thanks for all the help guys!

I am going for the Taiga 8x25. I really like the good reviews it has received and also the price ;) Thanks for all the help guys!

Good choice, Kristoffer. I think you´ll like them. They have a lovely "feel" in the hand too (IMHO). Tell us what you think of them.

So I got the Taiga now. My girlfriend is very pleased with them! They have a very solid feel in the hand, despite the low weight. I find the optics to be very sharp and contrasty, I have not checked for CA but the usage so far does not reveal any bothering amounts of CA. The focus wheel has a nice resistance, perhaps a little too stiff for me but she thinks it´s great.

The downsides of them are a really lousy strap, just a strap without any padding what so ever. And they lack ocular covers, for some that might be annyoing.

But that´s about it! I can really recommend them.

So I got the Taiga now. My girlfriend is very pleased with them! They have a very solid feel in the hand, despite the low weight. I find the optics to be very sharp and contrasty, I have not checked for CA but the usage so far does not reveal any bothering amounts of CA. The focus wheel has a nice resistance, perhaps a little too stiff for me but she thinks it´s great.

The downsides of them are a really lousy strap, just a strap without any padding what so ever. And they lack ocular covers, for some that might be annyoing.

But that´s about it! I can really recommend them.

Marvellous! I am going to my wife to try a pair. She has got back into photography so doesn't want to carry full size bins & DSLR etc. I had a brief try of some a while back and was amazed by the quality of the view for their size. And they can be had for only £60.

Yes the price of them is really amazing. The optics is good enough to be compared to way more expensive bins. And the weight is so nice around the neck after a few hours compared to a 8x42. During the summer they could be a nice bin for anyone who has some problems with the neck aching. I might buy a pair for my self to have as backup and to have in the car etc actually.

Marvellous! I am going to my wife to try a pair. She has got back into photography so doesn't want to carry full size bins & DSLR etc. I had a brief try of some a while back and was amazed by the quality of the view for their size. And they can be had for only £60.

I have noticed that when a just wear a t shirt, I want the lightest pair around the neck. No padding from the coat. My little 8x25 reverse porro is slung over the shoulder while canoeing.

I have noticed that when a just wear a t shirt, I want the lightest pair around the neck. No padding from the coat. My little 8x25 reverse porro is slung over the shoulder while canoeing.

Indeed. In the winter when I have several fleece collars and a coat collar, a heavy pair of bins around the neck is not a problem. But in summer I use a harness or light bins.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back