• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South east Asia stopover?? (1 Viewer)

arjacee

Hi all. Will be heading back to London on the summer and will go via another country en route. Last year I stopped off in Thailand and really enjoyed birding bangkok and Khao Yai park. I only did a full day in the park and a couple of mornings in Bangkok. I will try to stay for longer this time. It will be in August and I have almost decided to stop in Thailand again as I feel I have just scratched the surface as far as birds are concerned. I was just wondering if Singapore, Hong Kong or Philippines would be better options or should I just return to Thailand? Any thoughts would be great. Will try to get about 5 to 7 days this time! And yes I know it's rainy season! Thanks

If you are just doing birding, I would vote for Thailand or Philippines. I don't know anything about birding Philippines, but could have some suggestions for Thailand if you like.

If you want other things to do, Singapore would be good too. Its a real nice place You might need to travel in and out of Singapore to do more serious birding though, I don't know much about birding there either.

Hong Kong. Meh. I wouldn't recommend it.

Richard birding in the Philippines is a real adventure and it is possibly one of the most interesting birding destinations in Asia. However it is hard going. Transportation is still quite primitive notwithstanding good airline coverage. However you've got to get from airports to the various locations and sometimes organising transportation can be a nightmare. I have memories of standing in front of motorcycle taxis and shouting out where I want to go to and saying what I am prepared to pay and promising a decent tip for being well looked after....... as an alternative to paying some ridiculous price in the region of 10 times the going rate. It always worked! I imagine it might be quite wet in August. In fact the weather can be a real factor with cyclones etc.

You'd be well advised to do your research and hire a guide. Sadly it can be dangerous though let me stress I have never had the slightest problem when birding. My wife, a Filipina, doesn't like me birding on my own. But I've always had a good time birding there and had a lot of real interest from the locals. The birding is sensational with a high level of endemism although I think you have to work harder for your birds as they are much more subject to persecution and it's like they know it.

You know about Thailand.

You might also consider Malaysia.

Just my tuppence worth.

Just a quick afterthought about the Philippines: it would be feasible to fly into Clarke Airport and bird Subic Bay, the former US base, which is nearby; you'd probably need a hire car but the roads in that area are good and the birding is also excellent.

Despite Darth Bangkok's somewhat dismissive comments, I'd like to point out that Hong Kong is actually a great birding destination. Public transport is very easy, with all sites accessible in less than an hour, even from the city centre. There are some very good sites in HK, especially the Mai Po Reserve.
August is not the best time. It's still very hot and humid, and migration will not really be underway. There would be some waders around at Mai Po in August. Migration times (April-May and September - November) and winter can be very good for birding.

Having said that, Thailand and the Philippines are also very good destinations.

Agree with John, I was blown away by Hong Kong's Mai Po, but then that was in the winter.

My consideration would be that it is only a week so you want to minimise travel time and see a lot of (preferably new) birds.

Don't know about the weather/ time of year thing but:-

You could easily hit 2 or 3 bird rich sites (on 2/3 islands) in the Philippines without your own transport or guides. How about 2 or 3 days at Mt Makiling (easy on public transport from Manila and you can stay cheaply at the edge of the forest). Then 2 or 3 days on Bohol (stay cheaply at the butterfly farm near the main site) with maybe a day around the lakes up from Dumaguete on Negros (easy by boat from Bohol, or prob easier with flights.) All forest birding and can be tough, but a heap of endemics once you get your eye in.

Similarly from KL in Malaysia you could split the week between Taman Negara and Fraser's Hill (or Cameron Highlands), and see a shed load of brilliant birds without own transport or guide. Even the whole week at Taman Negara and you'll still be raking in new goodies.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back