• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK 'Picture-wing' fly id please? (1 Viewer)

Fozzybear

Ich bin ein Vogelbeobachter
Spotted loads of these small yellow flies on a burdock this morning here in Essex but after looking in my (limited) field guides on insects I have no idea which species they might be, except that they appear to be a kind of picture wing fly, possibly some kind of marsh fly or similar. Can anyone shed any more light on the subject?

They were displaying and mating - at one point I had a female and two males attempting mating on my fingertip, which was pretty cool. :t:

Attachments

• IMG_0543.jpg
    IMG_0543.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0556.jpg
    IMG_0556.jpg
    194 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0567.jpg
    IMG_0567.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 69
A quick search suggests that looks a very good fit Martin... interesting that they could be gall-forming flies too. Thanks!

Thanks very much Ficedula. Was very nice to spend a little time watching these; as ever, I find picture wing flies really interesting (even though I know practically nothing about them!). Cheers!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back