• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

fallow deer problems (1 Viewer)

erik

cheesehead
Netherlands
This article was in the dutch newspaper today. I'm freely translating it. My question is what your solution would be...

Problems in Haarlem dunes because of fallow deer

AMSTERDAM - After a huntingprohibit in the Amsterdam dunes, the amount of Fallow deer in that area, near Haarlem has explosively raised. The number of female deer raise with 43 procent in one year and causes more and more damage to the dunes.

This is what Mrs Maij, member of the city council of Amsterdam, wrote in a letter to the city council. In this letter she asks the council to think of eventual solutions for this problem. In 1996, there was 1 incident with a fallow deer, in 2001 there were 40. Animal-ambulance, police and civilians, more and more notice unsafe situations along the roads.
By estimation there are about 700 animals in the area that is owned by the capital. Since 1997 the hunt to control the population is prohibited for Roe Deer and Fallow Deer.
Mrs Maij says that she doesn't have a view on founded data about populatios of fallow deer in Europe because those are shot almost everyewhere in Europe. A research shows that in theory it would be possible that in 20 years the dunes will be the home of 3400 - 6800 female fallow deer.
The natural enemy of the fallow deer, the wolf doesn't live in the area.

damhert.gif

I think they should start to control the group again in some way. Those animals are beautiful but should be restricted.

Last edited:
Sorry, the URL doesnt work, just find a pic yourself on the net when you dont know what a fallow deer looks like 3:)

Last edited:
Sadly, there is just not enough room for wildlife to do its own thing, and nowhere is that more clearly demonstrated than in the Netherlands.
Yes, I presume that they have to be 'managed', which means: culled, which means: selectively killed, not for 'sport' but quietly by a good marksman.

Thanx Tony!

The link is now available!

Paula, i totally agree!! They could as well put out wolves in the netherlands again, would be thrilling!! But i dont know if it would be good for the ecosystem

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back