• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Excellent service (1 Viewer)

postcardcv

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
I have a pair of Leica 8x32 BA's that were a little the worse for wear, the rubber armouring was not in the best condition and one of the eyecups spun round - neither were big issues. However the focus problem was - focus was fine in the middle, but got stiff at the extremes.

So they went back to Leica to be serviced - I posted them last Tuesday (29th Novemebr) and spoke to Leica who warned it it might take a while. To my suprise they arrived back today (Friday 9th December) - 11 days door to door.

The focus problem has been sorted, nice smooth, even focus now. The eyecup no longer spins round, and they've been re-armoured. Great service, well done Leica.

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 410
  • after.jpg
    after.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 388
what an improvement,very reassureing that premium optics can last for many years and still be re armoured etc like that.

ps what did you use to polish them with before you had them serviced :'D

matt

spoke to soon...

This morning was the first chance I've had to give my newly repaired Leicas a proper test - and yes the focus is now very smooth. However the diopter is now not working properly, it needs constant re-adjustment, which is much more irritating than the stiff focus wheel was.

So they're going back to Leica again, let's hope this repair is as fast as the last one.

postcardcv said:
This morning was the first chance I've had to give my newly repaired Leicas a proper test - and yes the focus is now very smooth. However the diopter is now not working properly, it needs constant re-adjustment, which is much more irritating than the stiff focus wheel was.

So they're going back to Leica again, let's hope this repair is as fast as the last one.
i'm suprised this problem was not detected when they were [should have?] inspected before being sent back to you.hopefully this additional problem wont take too long to fix,fingers crossed!.

matt

amazing!

well the bins went back to Leica to get the diopter problem sorted, and much to my amazement arrived back yesterday - given the holiday season I though this was very quick service.

The documentation states that they were inspected and that they "have carried out the service attention as necessary". However the problem is still there - exactly the same as when I sent them in for repair. My frustraition was compounded when I phoned to arrange to send them back in only to find that Leica are closed until the 3rd of January.

So I'll try again next week and see if Leica can correct the problem this time...

postcardcv said:
well the bins went back to Leica to get the diopter problem sorted, and much to my amazement arrived back yesterday - given the holiday season I though this was very quick service.

The documentation states that they were inspected and that they "have carried out the service attention as necessary". However the problem is still there - exactly the same as when I sent them in for repair. My frustraition was compounded when I phoned to arrange to send them back in only to find that Leica are closed until the 3rd of January.

So I'll try again next week and see if Leica can correct the problem this time...
I'm curious what the problem is with the diopter. Is it an internal problem? Does the setting in the window change?

John

I took my 10x42 BA's to the Leica stand at the Bird Fair this year because the alignment was out and the technician said they would have to be taken back to the workshop because they had been knocked at some point. This had caused one of the objective lens holders to have a marked flat on it. Considering these Leica's were one of the first into the country way back in 1990 and have had a hard life, being in constant use, I was not surprised. I was told at the Fair that the cost would be about £70 inc VAT. This price was honoured. I was very surprised, however, when they returned two weeks later with a completly new body! The lenses, internals and focusing wheel was original but the body was the new matt rubber one. As Postcardcv's pics show the old style was a smooth armouring. This was made even smoother by use.

Ivan

John Traynor said:
I'm curious what the problem is with the diopter. Is it an internal problem? Does the setting in the window change?

John

Before they went in for the first repair they were right for me with the diopter in the centre (as is the case with most bins for me). However when they came back the first time and I tried to test them I could not get a sharp image so I thought I'd re-set the diopter. I focused on an object ~20 feet away and found that the diopter needed to be set at -1 to get the image right. I then focused on an object ~100 feet away and again the image was not sharp, I needed to re-set the diopter again, this time +1 gave the perfect image.

The window shows that the diopter setting does not change (when locked), but clearly something is slipping internally as they need constant re-adjustment as I change my viewing distance. It's very annoying, and makes them basically unuseable.

postcardcv said:
Before they went in for the first repair they were right for me with the diopter in the centre (as is the case with most bins for me). However when they came back the first time and I tried to test them I could not get a sharp image so I thought I'd re-set the diopter. I focused on an object ~20 feet away and found that the diopter needed to be set at -1 to get the image right. I then focused on an object ~100 feet away and again the image was not sharp, I needed to re-set the diopter again, this time +1 gave the perfect image.

The window shows that the diopter setting does not change (when locked), but clearly something is slipping internally as they need constant re-adjustment as I change my viewing distance. It's very annoying, and makes them basically unuseable.
My right eye has so little accommodation left I can't use a binocular unless it has a "faithful" diopter mechanism. My Ultravid 7X42 has one of the best diopter systems I've seen and it is totally "faithful" to my eyes. Though accommodation is extremely limited, my right eye continues to see the world in vivid detail! Surprisingly, however, parallax is a greater problem for me with the Ultravid than with my wide objective, porro prism SE. I attribute that to the extreme across-the-field sharpness of the SE, which makes viewing across the field so easy. With a personal IPD of 57/58 mm I have to close the barrels of the Ultravid at close distance and that introduces a whole other set of minor distortions. I experimented with the diopter for many months to find the "best" setting for minimum and maximum distance and now I rarely think about it.

Obviously, there's something amiss internally that Leica should have discovered before they returned it to you. Please let us know how they resolve your problem.

John

postcardcv said:
The bins are now back with Leica again, I'll let you know how they go this time.

Just found out that they're now being sent to Leica in Germany, so I guess it will be another few weeks yet...

postcardcv said:
Just found out that they're now being sent to Leica in Germany, so I guess it will be another few weeks yet...
good job they're not your only pair of bins,i'd be climbing the walls after a week!

matt

Well they arrived back today... not sure what's been done to them, but they seem to be working, though I can't test them properly for a day or so.

going back again!

Well the problem with the diopter has been sorted, however there are dark specks in both barrels, on in the right barrel is large enough to effect viewing! So it seems that when they took them appart to correct the problem they failed to clean them before putting them back together.

So it's a forth trip back to Leica for the bins! Unless this gets sorted quickly I think it will be time to give up on Leica and change my bins!

postcardcv said:
Well the problem with the diopter has been sorted, however there are dark specks in both barrels, on in the right barrel is large enough to effect viewing! So it seems that when they took them appart to correct the problem they failed to clean them before putting them back together.

So it's a forth trip back to Leica for the bins! Unless this gets sorted quickly I think it will be time to give up on Leica and change my bins!
Don't manufacturers understand the ill will that's generated when they conduct business in this manner? If it doesn't come back in perfect condition, please let us know. Leica is in no position to lose any more sales.

John

postcardcv said:

nikons nikons nikons!

matt

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back