• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A shank of sorts (1 Viewer)

lostinjapan

This bird has been bugging me for quite a while.

I found it last autumn at Minami-Iwakuni in Japan and it just semed too brown for an immature Greenshank.but what do people think.

Sorry the images are not that good

Attachments

• DSCN3812.jpg
    DSCN3812.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 202
  • DSCN3813.jpg
    DSCN3813.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 210
  • DSCN3815.jpg
    DSCN3815.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 192
Thanks

gerdwichers8 said:
Josh may well be right, especially the second pix shows a 'snouty' face, typical of the species, brought forward by J.
Brown juveniles are not an exception.

http://www.birdpix.nl/album_page.php?pic_id=28687

I am not fully convinced on either species though.

Hey Josh and Gerd

Thanks for the replies. I can reassure this is not a Wood Sandpiper. I have seen a ton of them at this site..movements of up to 50 are not uncommon at peak times of Wood Sandpiper.

I guess I really just wanted confirmation that this was a Greenshank.

I had never seen an juvenile/1st winter quite such a brown mantle and with such bright yellowish legs. I guess i just wanted to elimiate Greater Yellowlegs. From whay I have read and a few other birds I have seen sometimes greenshank have very green legs. It is also 20 years since I saw my one and only Greater Yellowlegs at Minsmere and that was an adult anyway. Having read through the literature I didn' think this could be either of the Yellowlegs or indeed Nordmann's Greenshank..the former as they would be more spotted and less streaked above and the latter bcuse of the tail pattern, length of bill and legs.

Nice pic that Gerd..which leaves me in no doubt it is a 1st year Greenshank.

Thanks

Sean
Hiroshima ;)

Hi Sean, juv Greenshanks are brown, but how big was it? Coz it looks like a Marsh Sand to me. Esp if you say it has bright yellow legs. Very fine bill too. And the face pattern fits. You can also see the white stripe coming up the back.
Cheers,
Mike.

Thanks

Conorbirda2 said:
first year Greenshank for me, too.

Hey Mike, Jyothi and Conorbirda

Thanks for your replies. First Mike, no deffo not a Marsh Sandpiper, though the white strip on the back and bright yellow legs did throw me for a bit. This was a big bird, Greenshank size and the bill (not easy to see in the pic) was quite stout.

As I said before I know juvvy and first wiinter Geenshank are brown, but I have never seen one this brown before.

Jyothi I think the photo you attached is actually a Marsh Sandpiper. See the following pics of Marsh Sandpiper that I have taken at the sam site.

Cheers

Sean

Attachments

• DSCN3720.jpg
    DSCN3720.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCN3726.jpg
    DSCN3726.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 72
Jyothi Ray said:
I know, I just didn't label it, I though it said so on the picture.

Sorry Jyothi

I just wasn't clear thre whether you were suggesting it was a marsh Sand like Mike or had mislabelled the pic.

Cheers

Sean

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back