• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Semipalmated Sandpiper or Western Sandpiper? So. California (1 Viewer)

dancinec

These were shot in a estuary in Southern California. There have been reported that Semipalmated Sandpipers have been spotted there. I have not seen one before and these appear different that the Western Sandpipers with their clean white breasts.
Photo one

Last edited:
Semi-P, juvenile, methinks. What about that reflection in the water behind though - godwit or dowitcher?! I'm thinking Hudsonian Godwit myself, but not 100%...

Nice photo of some Semipalmated Sandpipers! I believe Western Sandpipers would have a more brownish cast to the markings in their plumage, usually have longer and thinner bill (slightly downturned at the end) and more dark markings on the breast.

"Shadow bird" appears to be a Short-billed Dowitcher to me.

Hi All,

This is an interesting conundrum. I must confess a western bias when thinking of small Calidris ID, but there are some puzzling attributes to these birds. The bird in the foreground can be assessed for shape, but the bird behind it is somewhat hidden from our view. One can see well the scapular and wing coverts patterns of both, however. The underexposed nature of the picture gives a more uniform feel to the upperparts, but there is really some contrast there. One thing that is apparent on both of the peep is that they exhibit rather rufous-edged upper scapular tracts. While this is apparent on some Semipalmateds (as I have seen when visiting huge Semipalmated Sandpiper stopover sites in New Brunswick), it is also certainly typical of juvenile Western Sandpipers too. The bill of the foreground bird looks okay for Semipalmated, but could also be found on some male Westerns, IMO. What about this bird really does differentiate it from a short-billed Western? When I'm looking for Semipalmateds in the west, I certainly feel much more comfortable with those that are lacking rusty fringed scapulars and possessing short, blunt tipped bills. I would certainly want to see more images of this bird from different angles before settling on Semipalmated Sandpiper, especially in an area where they are outnumbered by hundreds to one by Westerns.

Now the bird in the background could be a any of several possibilities, but again, I suspect that Western would be the most likely.

Chris

Hi All,

This is an interesting conundrum. I must confess a western bias when thinking of small Calidris ID, but there are some puzzling attributes to these birds. The bird in the foreground can be assessed for shape, but the bird behind it is somewhat hidden from our view. One can see well the scapular and wing coverts patterns of both, however. The underexposed nature of the picture gives a more uniform feel to the upperparts, but there is really some contrast there. One thing that is apparent on both of the peep is that they exhibit rather rufous-edged upper scapular tracts. While this is apparent on some Semipalmateds (as I have seen when visiting huge Semipalmated Sandpiper stopover sites in New Brunswick), it is also certainly typical of juvenile Western Sandpipers too. The bill of the foreground bird looks okay for Semipalmated, but could also be found on some male Westerns, IMO. What about this bird really does differentiate it from a short-billed Western? When I'm looking for Semipalmateds in the west, I certainly feel much more comfortable with those that are lacking rusty fringed scapulars and possessing short, blunt tipped bills. I would certainly want to see more images of this bird from different angles before settling on Semipalmated Sandpiper, especially in an area where they are outnumbered by hundreds to one by Westerns.

Now the bird in the background could be a any of several possibilities, but again, I suspect that Western would be the most likely.

Chris

Oh, you sound like John Fitzpatrick or David Sibley! great writer, o expert birder! I was noticing that there was something different about the bird behind the front one, but i dont think an ID is possible. or maybe its just me!

I too would like to see some more images of, especially the one in the foreground. Bill size and shape is variable (longer in females - and in SPS shorter in western birds) noted, although a tendency for SPS to have more blunt-tipped bills - finner tipped and slightly 'kinked' in WS, but there are SPS with straight fine tipped bills. One thing - often better seen in photos are the often slightly narrower scapulars and coverts of juvenile WS

http://www.pbase.com/image/66131402

The upper WS:

http://www.schmoker.org/BirdPics/WESA.html

JanJ

I'm going against the grain here and think that the bird on the left is Western, though I'd like to see more shots from different angles.

The well-defined streaks, concentrated on the neck sides, the rufous-toned upper scaps (looks under-saturated in the photo).

The rear lower scaps show more convex edges to the anchor-marks (spear-shaped), a feature I find more indicative of Western than Semi-p which shows obvious concave edges to the rear lower scaps. Many Semi-ps show diffuse but noticeable subterminal anchors to the inner greater coverts, though it's hard to tell on this photo whether this feature is present or absent..

Bird looks fresh and juv Semi-ps that are migrating south now (mid-late August) still exhibit a nice peachy-buff suffusion across the breast, unlike many Westerns which show nice, clean white underparts. Some fresh juv. Western's can show a buffy-tinge to the upperbreast but often is paler and less extensive.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back