• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Blackwater on the Bay (1 Viewer)

tvawter

Today had a nice but fairly quick day at Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge on the Chesapeake Bay. The weather was cool and sunny and we lucked out after a couple of days of 50 mph winds in that it was fairly calm. Along the roads accessing the Refuge we found American Pipet, Kestral, Northern Harrier, Red-Wing Hawk and appropriately for a day nearing the Thanksgiving holiday, several American Turkeys. May the bird spirits spare them!

At the refuge itself we found only a moderate number of water birds. Normally the refuge is filled with Snow Geese at this time of year but they seem to be late perhaps because of the warmer than normal temperatures or the winds the last couple days slowing down migration. Winter birds in the woods included: Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker, Winter Wren, Hermit Thrush, Golden-Crowned and Ruby Crowned Kinglets, Brown-Headed Nuthatch.

Ducks were out but there was not as much variety as normal this time of year; besides Great Blue Heron, Double-Crested Cormorant and Great Egrets in good numbers there were Northern Shovelers, Amer. Black Duck, Mallards, Northern Pin-tail, Gadwall, Common and Hooded Mergansers among ducks and large flocks of Dunlin, Killdeer and Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs on the shore. There was a thirty minute period of activity at the border of the woods and the marsh in which many of our common year-round birds and wintering birds dropped close to eye level in a feeding frenzy. A Coopers Hawk ended all this as it swished through the woods and appeared to come up with a Starling. Three prize birds seen recently at the refuge Northern Rough-Wing Hawk and Golden Eagle and American Bittern were absent. We did look.

However, the relatively recent recovery of the American Bald Eagle in the northeast part of the USA appears solid as we saw at least 20 mature and immature birds some at close quarters. Although they now appear to be fairly common it's always exciting to see these birds despite the sporadic fits of fear they seem to throw over the rest of the bird communities. And a day of good light out on the Chesapeake Bay is a pretty good day.

A great day's birding! I was reading about Hurricane Isabel last night and the birds it brought with it. Chesapeake bay features highly with lots of seabirds. Are a few still lingering?

Isabel's effect

There are a number of unusual seabirds that are being seen (not by me unfortunately) since Isabel but I don't see that there are more than the usual number of rareties. Eiders including King, Great Cormorants, early Harlequins and Scoters and a few Jaegars make appearances infrequently throughout the extent of the bay every year. Some birds seem to be lingering on nesting grounds longer (Skimmers, some terns) while other migrants appear late in coming. I have not personally seen these rareties which is a little frustrating but I don't get a chance to spend much time at the shore. The thing about a storm as powerful as Isabel is that it may have affects for a long period of time. I'll keep my eyes open.

Andrew said:
A great day's birding! I was reading about Hurricane Isabel last night and the birds it brought with it. Chesapeake bay features highly with lots of seabirds. Are a few still lingering?

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back