• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Boat-billed Heron et al (1 Viewer)

Dave B Smith

Saturday afternoon my wife and I went to our local patch to feed the mosquitos and see what birds were around. We are just at the end of the rainy season and our winter migrants have mostly arrived. We were hoping to find Painted Buntings but no luck there 8-(

We did find some of our year round residents and I got a few decent shots. I just had to share this Boat-billed Heron with Y'all. There is a flock of about 20 of them that live and breed here. We watched one pair raise two sets of young last Spring. I also attached a Bare-throated Tiger Heron and a Masked Tityra photo just to introduce you to some of our other birds.

Attachments

• Boat-billed Heron.jpg
    Boat-billed Heron.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 681
  • garza tigre2.jpg
    garza tigre2.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 158
  • Masked tityra.jpg
    Masked tityra.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Hi david

What great photos!
We were lucky enough to see Boat-billed Heron and Bare-throated Tiger in Rio Lagartos, Yucutan, this August. It’s an amazing spot and well geared up for birders too. You can take boat rides out into the mangroves and see both species. They also both occur in the small town too. In fact, Boat-billeds can be seen behind the bus station!

Keep posting the Mexican pix......

Hi Dave,

We saw all three of these species when my wife and I went to Costa Rica in 1999. That was without a doubt the greatest birding adventure I have had thus far. Great Photos.

Larry

Thanks for the comments.

Tim,
I saw your Yucatan trip report on the web and it looks like you had a very successful trip. You got a number of birds that I still haven't seen after 5 years here! I am tryng to fix that though and have a 4 day birding trip planned starting this Thursday.

Larry,
Costa Rica has to be one of the top Birding destinations in the world. Mexico has a lot of the same Neotropics and over a thousand species total, but it is a large country and you have to work a little harder here to get to see them all.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back