• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (7 Viewers)

Tunstall Res.

Spent a windy morning up at Tunstall then down to Low Barns, saw the Redstart straight away and it was keeping low down out of the tree tops - probably due to the strong wind. Also saw Woodcock and Pied Flycatcher in there, saw the Common Sandpipers fly over the wall and Wood Warbler towards the end of the wood. Fairly quiet AGAIN at Low Barns loads of Blackcaps and a Pink Footed Goose

Attachments

• Redstart3.jpg
    Redstart3.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 104
  • Redstart8.jpg
    Redstart8.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 125
  • Redstart12.jpg
    Redstart12.jpg
    119.7 KB · Views: 132
Seaton Common - am - Wood Sandpiper x2, White Wagtail x2, Wigeon x2 on pools along North Gare road.

Whinchat x2, Wheatear x11, Linnet x6 along Zinc Works Road.

RSPB Saltholme - Pectoral Sandpiper on Bottom Tank for most of the day. Black-tailed Godwit x9 present in morning but gone by the afternoon.

Dormans Pool - Fox by the lower car park seen catching voles x2, usual Sedge Warblers and Whitethroat along path to the hide. Cetti's Warbler not heard today. Stonechat pair by level crossing.

Attachments

• IMG_4163aoo.jpg
    IMG_4163aoo.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_4211aoo.jpg
    IMG_4211aoo.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_5461aoo.jpg
    IMG_5461aoo.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_5274aoo.jpg
    IMG_5274aoo.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_5798aoo.jpg
    IMG_5798aoo.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 131
Spent a windy morning up at Tunstall then down to Low Barns, saw the Redstart straight away and it was keeping low down out of the tree tops - probably due to the strong wind. Also saw Woodcock and Pied Flycatcher in there, saw the Common Sandpipers fly over the wall and Wood Warbler towards the end of the wood. Fairly quiet AGAIN at Low Barns loads of Blackcaps and a Pink Footed Goose

Great photos. Interesting that he has lost part of his right foot.

A few from today:

Thrush & Great Crested Grebe from Hardwick Park.
Others from bus stop hide, 21 Avocet present, one pair has at least 3 chicks.

Attachments

• _MG_5213.jpg
    _MG_5213.jpg
    280.9 KB · Views: 61
  • _MG_5297.jpg
    _MG_5297.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 60
  • _MG_5339.jpg
    _MG_5339.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 77
  • _MG_5387.jpg
    _MG_5387.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 64
  • _MG_5531.jpg
    _MG_5531.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 66
A pretty good couple of days yesterday and today.

Yesterday afternoon - Dormans Pool - pm - Marsh Harrier x4 in total with one displaying male. One flew off towards Saltholme. The fox was along track to the hide. It actually pushed past my legs as I was stood by the hide (I'd forgotten my key). A Cuckoo was calling from near the top car park.

An interesting encounter when two Swifts crashed into each other 20m above the ground and plummeted into the grass practically at my feet. Both were stunned. Actually I thought they were dead at first but after flipping one that was on it's back onto it's belly it blinked it's eyes and 2 minutes later it flew off shortly followed by the other one. I'm sure I'd read somewhere that they weren't supposed to be able to take off once grounded as their legs are too weak/short. Despite being head down in deep tufted grass they managed to flick themselves upwards in one go straight into flight and soar away. So much for that theory!

Seaton Common - White Wagtail x3 and Yellow Wagtail x1.

I was back at Dormans Pool this morning hoping for some more Marsh Harriers as the light was much better today but there was no sign. An obliging Grasshopper Warbler was reeling from the top of the bramble patch by the lower car park. At least one other one was present and occasionally tried to join the reeling one but was chased off each time. Lots of Whitethroat and Sedge Warblers singing and in display flight.

A quick visit to RSPB Saltholme was rewarded with some very close views of a weasel that tried to raid the Sand Martin colony. As soon as it appeared by the nest wall around 20-30 Sand Martins came out to mob it buzzing close overhead like a swarm of angry bees. They chased it back over top of the mud bank.

Attachments

• IMG_6239ao.jpg
    IMG_6239ao.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_6324ao.jpg
    IMG_6324ao.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_6664ao.jpg
    IMG_6664ao.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_6934bo.jpg
    IMG_6934bo.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_6962ao.jpg
    IMG_6962ao.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 81
The Swifts and fox.

Attachments

• IMG_5960a.jpg
    IMG_5960a.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_5946a.jpg
    IMG_5946a.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_5968aa.jpg
    IMG_5968aa.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_7126ao.jpg
    IMG_7126ao.jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_7179ao.jpg
    IMG_7179ao.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 69
A visit west this morning. Birding started at Bishop Auckland viaduct with Buzzard circling overhead being mobbed by two Crows.

I then revisited Muggleswick. Bright and sunny starting off but very few birds singing apart from Garden Warbler x4 and Redstart x4. Only one Pied Flycatcher, a male that appeared on a branch right beside the car when I pulled up but would only give views of it's back. Other birds seen included Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Long-tailed Tit and Chaffinch. One Redstart landed right above my head, nicely in the sun but too many leaves in the way.

I then headed over to Bolliehope Common where I found the Ring Ouzels showing very well with 7 adults in total plus a recently left the nest juvenile. One pair were feeding mostly on the roadside verges so there was no need to even get out of the car really. It was also nice to bump into the County Recorder again.

Also present were several Wheatear around plus Oystecatcher, Red Grouse, Lapwing, Curlew and Mistle Thrush with youngsters. A Peregrine circled over head a couple of times.

A quick visit to Bedburn as I headed home produced Redstart x1 and Siskin x4.

Attachments

• IMG_7202ao.jpg
    IMG_7202ao.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_7211ao.jpg
    IMG_7211ao.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_7449ao.jpg
    IMG_7449ao.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_7623ao.jpg
    IMG_7623ao.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_7863a.jpg
    IMG_7863a.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 92
Some Ring Ouzel photos - by far the best views I've had of them.

Attachments

• IMG_7460ao.jpg
    IMG_7460ao.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_7577ao.jpg
    IMG_7577ao.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_7853ao.jpg
    IMG_7853ao.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_8005ao.jpg
    IMG_8005ao.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_7948a.jpg
    IMG_7948a.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 80
Tawny Owls

Had a quick visit to Low Barns for these Tawny Owl shots tonight, adult just slept all the way through though the owlet was a little more alert - not much though. Located one youngster although there are two.

Attachments

• Tawmy-Owl-asleep.jpg
    Tawmy-Owl-asleep.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 82
  • Tawny-Owl-Chick.jpg
    Tawny-Owl-Chick.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Weardale today:

Bollihope Quarry area:
Parked up and sat, using the car as a hide and sure enough 2 ring ouzel appeared, although distant, they started to head gradually towards us as they fed on or collected worms. Well, my usual luck held out, and as they got closer, a car pulled up, and out got 4 people, and that was the end of the ouzels, but still managed good views and a couple of pics.
Other birds in the area were wheatear, pied wagtail, oyster catchers, meadow pipit, red grouse and at least 5 mistle thrush, some of which were young.
From here we headed back to Stanhope, in search of dipper, we weren't dissapointed when we came accross a pair with 2 young, also grey & pied wagtail, swallows, sand and house martins.

Attachments

• _MG_5621.JPG
    _MG_5621.JPG
    268.2 KB · Views: 67
  • _MG_5660.JPG
    _MG_5660.JPG
    145 KB · Views: 67
  • _MG_5662.JPG
    _MG_5662.JPG
    176.9 KB · Views: 51
  • _MG_5676.JPG
    _MG_5676.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 67
  • _MG_5773.JPG
    _MG_5773.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 63
Dipper and young Dipper from today.

Attachments

• _MG_5877.JPG
    _MG_5877.JPG
    245.3 KB · Views: 68
  • _MG_5991.JPG
    _MG_5991.JPG
    156.6 KB · Views: 61
  • _MG_6055.JPG
    _MG_6055.JPG
    161 KB · Views: 61
  • _MG_6096.JPG
    _MG_6096.JPG
    233 KB · Views: 77
  • _MG_6170.JPG
    _MG_6170.JPG
    210.5 KB · Views: 74
It's a wonder I didn't bump into you Ray. I was over that way again today.

I started off at Tunstall Reservoir. I'm pretty certain there was a Wood Warbler calling by the wood end of the dam about 50m downstream when I arrived but I didn't hear it again.

Plenty of Redstarts about again with at least five individuals seen/heard. Only three Pied Flycatchers, a male on it's own and a male and female together. A Tawny Owl called a couple of times from somewhere in the top of the wood. Also present were a Lesser Whitethroat, Nuthatch, Treecreeper collecting food, several Blackcap and two Garden Wabler plus the usual Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, Robins and loads of tits mostly Blue but also Great and Long-tailed.

As I left the Common Sandpiper was along the dam wall.

Next stop was a brief visit to Bolliehope. As I dropped down into the bottom a Woodcock flew across the road but I lost sight of it. As Ray says there were lots of Mistle Thrush with young with several pairs about. Only five Ring Ouzel seen in the 20 minutes I was there. Two Mistle Thrush adults took off to chase away a Kestrel that flew too close to the juvies.

I then headed over the moors towards Egglestone seeing Red Grouse, Curlew, Lapwing, Meadow Pipits and four Golden Plover.

I stopped off in Barnard Castle for a picnic lunch by the river at the bandstand. Very few birds about there just Chaffinch, Garden Wabler, Blackcap, Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff and Pied Flycatcher. The odd Swift, Swallow and House Martin were feeding over the river. I figured I'd best check the owl tree just up from the bandstand not expecting to see anything but was rewarded by a Tawny Owl stuffed in it's hole with head pressed against the roof. Same thing has happened previously when the chicks get too big there's not much room! I dare say any day now they'll be out and about.

I then headed up Deepdale. It was pretty quiet really. Lots of Blackcaps and Chaffinches plus a few Chiffchaff and Willow Warbler. I had very brief views of Great Spotted Woodpecker, Nuthatch and Treecreeper. It was good to see the Dippers still nesting though very busy collecting food for nestlings. A pair of Grey Wagtail were doing likewise.

I finished up the day with a ride over to the Stang. I only had 30 minutes left before I had to head back east. Not a lot to see in fact just one Curlew and a dead chicken flattened on the road!

Attachments

• IMG_9046ao.jpg
    IMG_9046ao.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_9285ao.jpg
    IMG_9285ao.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_9454ao.jpg
    IMG_9454ao.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_9409ao.jpg
    IMG_9409ao.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_9363ao.jpg
    IMG_9363ao.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 95
A few more from today.

Attachments

• IMG_9691ao.jpg
    IMG_9691ao.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0049bo.jpg
    IMG_0049bo.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_9749aao.jpg
    IMG_9749aao.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_9532aoo.jpg
    IMG_9532aoo.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_9612aoo.jpg
    IMG_9612aoo.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 91
spent a couple of hours at Low Barn this afternoon, managed to spot 1 curlew 1 pied wagtail, 1 grey heron, and the bonus of the day a brown owl (caught sight as I was walking up the drive to my car) oh and the usual tufted ducks, swans, mallards etc
would post some pics but don't know how to do it

Mick

tawny owl

A few more from today.

Ian d'ont know if you remember, we were talking a few weeks ago you told me your parents had the VG shop in barney. Anyhow been out all day at your haunts[dormans etc] then went down to the bandstand at 8-30 tonight but no luck with the owl tree however heard a woodpecker drumming went on its trail and saw it hammering away[gsw] but to get to the point any info to the exact location would be greatly appreciated

Cheers A W Gregory [BARNEY LAD]B :)B

Anyway the owl tree to which you refer ...............

To tip you the wink Derek ;):
Precise details are sometimes best kept to ''private messages''. Unfortunately, degenerates frequent this public forum for their own gain which is not in the interests of conservation. Using PM's means that you can choose who to share your information with.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back