• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (12 Viewers)

Tuesday work party at Flashes (this week only)

The scheduled Tuesday Moors work party was going to be somewhat curtailed as our Leader Paul M and several other Lads were skiving (sorry on holiday):-O.
So at the last minute we decided to move to the Flashes. Whatever the task was, it was going to be pretty warm. The grass, reeds and sedge in the southern 2nd flash periphery had been mowed a few weeks ago. In order to limit the nutrient build up from the cuttings we had to move it. So today this was our mission, 9 of us set about raking up what appeared to be tonnes of thick, endless vegetation. At first we raked it into piles probably 70 in all and then it was collected in large canvas sacks and dragged to the rough areas. Here it will hopefully encourage small mammals and hibernating grass snakes. The resultant raked areas will attract feeding waders mostly snipe and jack snipe, when we finally get water into the area that is.
pics1 How it looked before
2 - 4 self explanatory
5. After the work
B :)
many thanks to everyone today , a hard slog but worth it.:t:

Attachments

• 1.souther 2nd Fl afta mowing.jpg
    1.souther 2nd Fl afta mowing.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 2.raked and piled high.jpg
    2.raked and piled high.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 3.the workers.jpg
    3.the workers.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 65
  • 4.and then it was gone.jpg
    4.and then it was gone.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 57
  • 5.southern grassland afta work.jpg
    5.southern grassland afta work.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 63
Fantastic work down by the Tuesday work party crew.

Dont forgot the next work party at the Flashes is this coming Sunday (2nd October).

Birding at the Flashes Today
Not a lot really. before the work 12 Teal and a green sand. During the work it was very apparent that there were not only migrant meadow pipits, constantly moving through, but there were also small numbers feeding all over the Flashes. The newly raked areas could attract even more.
A snipe was flushed from the 3rd flash, a few chiffchaffs called in the hedges and a couple of redpolls flew over.
B :)John

Ye, The gang of 4 don't forget, but are you really going to come back (from?) the Shetlands8-P

Given the weather predictions for the forthcoming week we might see more birds at Upton than in the Northern Isles. Even the Sandhill Crane has b*ggered off from Strathbeg!

Random shots from Today

There are some strange happens going on around the Flashes, not all of which we fully understand.
1.The new 2nd Flash island, Mark on the left gives you an idea of the size of it. (ps Mark isn't one of those strange happenings - just strange :-O)
it can also be seen just in front of the support slabs is a strip of water, this ditch was dug out on Sunday and the spoil put on to the island. This shows that the water table is not more than a spades depth below the surface. It might be easier to wait for the rains , rather than dig up the whole place. :smoke:
2. The salt deposit on the dried out 2nd flash. look out for sandgrouse8-P
3.The 3rd flash shore line (not visible from the hides). Here the saline water is killing the grass along the shoreline. 'Flamingo' nests are forming as the grassland erodes. In time the flamingo nests will collapse being replaced by bare earth will - ideal for waders. The salt plants will advance into the remaining grassland, ahead of the saline water. However at present phragmites reed is also advancing in the opposite direction. There will be only one winner (phragmites),this will be detrimental to not only the salt plants but also to the feeding and breeding waders.
4. The whole of the southern shore of the 2nd Flash is covered by a narrow strip of wet mud (quite deep in places) and very small patches of open water. It would appear that waders are feeding there - judging by the footprints. Adding weight to our 'spring' theory.
5. Small obvious patches of wet muddy pools along the southern end of the 2nd Flash.

Attachments

• the new island from behindk.jpg
    the new island from behindk.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 87
  • salt pans Flashes 27 sep11.jpg
    salt pans Flashes 27 sep11.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 75
  • Best 3rd fla shore.jpg
    Best 3rd fla shore.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 62
  • BEST 2nd Fl southern Shore.jpg
    BEST 2nd Fl southern Shore.jpg
    400.2 KB · Views: 68
  • salt spring.jpg
    salt spring.jpg
    344.6 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
The scheduled Tuesday Moors work party was going to be somewhat curtailed as our Leader Paul M and several other Lads were skiving (sorry on holiday):-O.
So at the last minute we decided to move to the Flashes. Whatever the task was, it was going to be pretty warm. The grass, reeds and sedge in the southern 2nd flash periphery had been mowed a few weeks ago. In order to limit the nutrient build up from the cuttings we had to move it. So today this was our mission, 9 of us set about raking up what appeared to be tonnes of thick, endless vegetation. At first we raked it into piles probably 70 in all and then it was collected in large canvas sacks and dragged to the rough areas. Here it will hopefully encourage small mammals and hibernating grass snakes. The resultant raked areas will attract feeding waders mostly snipe and jack snipe, when we finally get water into the area that is.
pics1 How it looked before
2 - 4 self explanatory
5. After the work
B :)
many thanks to everyone today , a hard slog but worth it.:t:

... and not a wisp of smoke in sight; Andy will be proud of you ;)

Phil
Talking to one regular on monday afternoon (26.09.11.) said that he had seen 2 Sedge Warblers in front of the west hide (on Moors) earlier in the day .(Sorry,but did not catch the chaps name !)

Phil
Talking to one regular on monday afternoon (26.09.11.) said that he had seen 2 Sedge Warblers in front of the west hide (on Moors) earlier in the day .(Sorry,but did not catch the chaps name !)

Thanks Glen - did think I had a Sedgie myself giving a partial song from the West Hide on Monday.

JTB

Your last post and photos are very interesting... and I'm only playing devil's advocate - not disagreeing with you.
In Para 1, you allude to the water table being only 'not more than a spade's depth' from the muddy surface... and in Para 5 you cite 'several wet muddy pools' in the second Flash. These pools appear to be in depressions; well they would be wouldn't they! I agree, they could be evidence of a 2nd Flash-sited spring(s).
But, how deep (at its deepest) is the 3rd Flash? I can't help thinking that a more significant source of water (bigger spring?) lies therein (given the 3rd Flashes almost constant water depth, even in this driest of periods). You summed it up nicely in your first sentence though matey... 'not all of which we fully understand'!

JTB

Your last post and photos are very interesting... and I'm only playing devil's advocate - not disagreeing with you.
In Para 1, you allude to the water table being only 'not more than a spade's depth' from the muddy surface... and in Para 5 you cite 'several wet muddy pools' in the second Flash. These pools appear to be in depressions; well they would be wouldn't they! I agree, they could be evidence of a 2nd Flash-sited spring(s).
But, how deep (at its deepest) is the 3rd Flash? I can't help thinking that a more significant source of water (bigger spring?) lies therein (given the 3rd Flashes almost constant water depth, even in this driest of periods). You summed it up nicely in your first sentence though matey... 'not all of which we fully understand'!

Hi Sy - are you volunteering to walk into the middle of the Third Flash to ascertain its true depth? You may need one of these....:t:

http://www.watersportswarehouse.co.uk/shop/snorkeling/snorkels/cressi-corsica-snorkel-861579.html

I seriously wonder (and indeed worry) about someone who frequents a site called watersports warehouse! :eek!:

But thanks anyway, Phil... :-OB :)

JTB

To be honest Sy I don't really know the answers its all conjecture. But it would be interesting to know what is going on under ground.
I think Dave could conclude more from the small pools through his 'Salinity surveys'.
Re the 3rd Flash there is no doubt that the 3rd flash is holding a lot more water than it used to. The main reasons for this could be due these fact : There is (or at least there was) a down ward slope from the 3rd Flash down to the 1st Flash. There was an outflow ditch from the 3rd Flash into the 2nd Flash. Another ditch run from the 2nd to the 1st Flash. This ditch is along the line of dead hedge and sticks at the back of the 2nd Flash. Since 1996 however the water level was increased by about 6 to 8 inches, after the installation of a new dam by the 1st Flash hide. This rendered the 3 distinct Flashes into two separate entities, namely the 3rd Flash and the combined 1st/2nd Flash.
Getting back to the 3rd Flash: since the rapid spread and consolidation of the phragmites reed bed between the 2nd and 3rd flash, the aforementioned 'ditch' has silted up. This has had the effect of holding back any surplus water that would have flowed into the 2nd Flash. There could well be a spring in the 3rd flash that is keeping it topped up, however the deeper the water the less the likelihood of it evaporating. Whatever the situation there is no doubt the saltmarsh is advancing towards the 2nd Flash as the photo depicts.
As for its depth it must about 3 feet at its deepest. We'll have to get the boat over there and check it.
Have you fixed the landie? will you be there Sunday. B :)John

Last edited:
Re: 3rd Flash Salinity

The salinity of the third flash is significanly lower than the other two - only ranging between about 2000 - 7000 mg/l - to illustrate this and If I remember, I'll affix a graph later comparing historic and recent salinity ranges for all the flashes.

Therefore, I suspect that the third flash may be fed by fresh water springs.

Chart of recent and historic recorded salinity ranges now attached:

Attachments

• Salinity Survey Recent and Historic Ranges.jpg
    Salinity Survey Recent and Historic Ranges.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
There are some strange happens going on around the Flashes, not all of which we fully understand.
1.The new 2nd Flash island, Mark on the left gives you an idea of the size of it. (ps Mark isn't one of those strange happenings - just strange :-O)
it can also be seen just in front of the support slabs is a strip of water, this ditch was dug out on Sunday and the spoil put on to the island. This shows that the water table is not more than a spades depth below the surface. It might be easier to wait for the rains , rather than dig up the whole place. :smoke:
2. The salt deposit on the dried out 2nd flash. look out for sandgrouse8-P
3.The 3rd flash shore line (not visible from the hides). Here the saline water is killing the grass along the shoreline. 'Flamingo' nests are forming as the grassland erodes. In time the flamingo nests will collapse being replaced by bare earth will - ideal for waders. The salt plants will advance into the remaining grassland, ahead of the saline water. However at present phragmites reed is also advancing in the opposite direction. There will be only one winner (phragmites),this will be detrimental to not only the salt plants but also to the feeding and breeding waders.
4. The whole of the southern shore of the 2nd Flash is covered by a narrow strip of wet mud (quite deep in places) and very small patches of open water. It would appear that waders are feeding there - judging by the footprints. Adding weight to our 'spring' theory.
5. Small obvious patches of wet muddy pools along the southern end of the 2nd Flash.

Looks like i have droped a quid:-O

Users who are viewing this thread

Back