• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

binocular etiquette (1 Viewer)

APSmith

I find that, at times, I'm a little embarrassed to watch birds while in the vicinity of others who are not. This is not a real problem - just a curiousity about the hobby.

For example, when I'm watching on my front porch and I detect a car approaching, or see a neighbor step outside, I typically put my binoculars down in an attempt to look normal. I partly think I might be rude to continue watching (and seemingly ignoring them). As well, I simply don't want to appear strange to others.

Also, on occasion, a bird will position itself such that, in order to view it, I must look directly toward a house, car, or people. The worst is when I'm intently observing a bird near the street, and someone walks into my view. If it is someone I know, they usually wave their arms, laughing. Strangers typically smile and wave, or ignore me. I usually joke with whoever about "running off the birds". Occasionally, it will turn into a nice conversation about birds, etc.

Is it proper to watch birds in such an environment?
What experiences do others have?
Is there a code of etiquette for binocular use?

Some suggested etiquette:
DO NOT USE BINOCULARS ON THE SIDEWALK.
IN PUBLIC PARKS, DO NOT POINT YOUR BINOCULAR AT COUPLES, ESPECIALLY IF THERE IS NO DAYLIGHT BETWEEN THEIR BODIES.
DO NOT POINT BINOCULARS AT SUNBATHERS AT THE BEACH OR IN PARKS, EVEN IF THEY ARE WEARING SOME CLOTHING.
IN WOODLAND AND WOODED PARKS, YOU HAVE THE RIGHT OF USING BINOCULARS BUT BEWARE OF OTHERS.
IF ACCUSED OF BEING A VOYEUR, REFERRING TO A BOBOLINK MAY NOT BE A SUFFICIENT EXCUSE, THEREFORE TAKE CARE TO AVOID THE ACCUSATION.

Happy bird [and not human] watching,
Arthur :brains:

I know of occasions here when the police have turned up at "twitches" close to houses, concerned residents perturbed by people seemingly pointing bins or scopes at their property. It's a tough one. In my neighbourhood people know I'm a birder, once they get used to you staring into the middle distance during conversations they simply note you down as a bit odd or absent-minded (which is really not the case, birders are generally phenomenally attentive and observant, it's just that they're attending to something most people don't even notice). A pair of bins, and I say this with no wisecracking intended, has to be used with extreme caution around human habitation, schools, etc. for obvious reasons. Scopes and digicameras even moreso. A pair of compacts is more discreet in public parks etc. But we all get around the problem one way or another, use your own judgment and happy birding!

Tero said:
see
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=20723

but we had a guy out in woods miles from the nuclear reactor, with a scope
he was reported as terrorist

Thanks Tero. That's a hilarious and interesting thread. I'm still laughing. However, it confirms my concerns for how nosy and suspicious people can be. If I didn't bird, I guess I would think it strange too.

With the growth of birdwatching as a hobby, I would hope more people would be aware. All in all, though, the majority people (who aren't birders) don't quite understand why someone would stand there looking though binos the way we do.

Does anyone know of any "anti-bin" laws? We have anti-gun laws because some people have done wrong with guns. I wonder if the day will come when we have to have a permit or a license to watch birds. Scary thought, huh?

nctexasbirder said:
thats silly :) binocs are NOT guns

I second the motion! People who think they are being looked at should see a shrink, — or pack a gun. :news:

PS. ...with a license ...

Last edited:
I would not be surprised if there were some voyer/peeping tom laws out there although I know of none personally.

People in my neighbourhood start noticing I'm a birder since they see me leave the house with bins and scope. They are interested and ask all kinds of questions about birds, sometimes it takes me an hour just to get on my bike and be off.
I provoke it, I must admit, by wearing big bins ( 42mm FL's ) around my neck even when I visit the local supermarket for my daily needs. I don't want anything to escape my attention on my way to the supermarket and back.
Wearing compacts around one's neck or in a coat pocket seems like you've got something to hide, and could make one more suspicious. I'm proud I'm a birder and I will show it, eventually non-birders hopefully grow more aware of birds and/or the environment.

That said, it could happen that on a dull seawatch from a high dune, gradually all scopes tend to be pointed at the beach rather than out to sea, so we birders are no less voyeurish than normal people are.

Greetings, Ronald

Pinewood said:
IN PUBLIC PARKS, DO NOT POINT YOUR BINOCULAR AT COUPLES, ESPECIALLY IF THERE IS NO DAYLIGHT BETWEEN THEIR BODIES.

They do that in New York City? Hm, this Bible Belt must be a different world.

I very seldom watch birds in residential areas. Last time, i got a Painted Bunting and ten minutes later i ended up sharing my binoculars with a police officer.

In general, i go to conservation areas, state parks, wildlife refuges, etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back