• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bins decision...Nikon or Swift...losing my mind! (1 Viewer)

OK...you've talked me into it!

Thank you everybody for all the feedback and opinions.

Just to let you know, I've taken up the offer and gone for the Nikon's.

I'll let you know first impressions once I've got them in my greedy little hands!

Last Year's Man said:
Thank you everybody for all the feedback and opinions.

Just to let you know, I've taken up the offer and gone for the Nikon's.

I'll let you know first impressions once I've got them in my greedy little hands!

You will not be disappointed.

The Verdict

Well...I've had the Nikon HG 8x32's for a week or so now, and am filing a 'first impressions' report.

The ergonomics and balance are beautiful...they sit very comfortably in my (smallish) hands. They don't feel their weight, if that doesn't sound silly...despite being built like a tank.

Focus is majestic - so smooth and precise - and I love the speed.

The optics really are as good as they are puffed up to be...incredible resolution and superbly natural colour.

Overall, extremely easy on the eye. There is no eye strain at all, even after prolonged use. They have rekindled the joy of simply watching birds (any birds), and that to my mind is the ultimate accolade.

If I'm really honest though, I don't think that I personally would have paid £400.00 more for them (i.e. brand new) than, say, the ED Swift Audubons, or the 8x30 EII's, despite my praise. I say that because I am not a wealthy man, and not as a reflection on their worth. Its the age old law of diminishing returns of course. If I had the luxury of daily birding, or used them for my profession, or was comfortably well-off; that would be a different matter. Having said that, I can't really see myself ever needing another pair of binoculars unless I accidently run them over or something. They would probably even survive that!

Thank you for your advice everyone...

One happy birder

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back