• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Worlds Funniest Bird Name? (1 Viewer)

Bronzy Hermit - a sun tanned bearded guy sat on a pillar ?
Spectacled Spiderhunter - a Victorian eccentric explorer ?
White-vented Plumeleteer - an extra in a 3 Musketeers movie ?

Senegal thick knee - soon to be eradicated tropical disease
Caucasian snowcock - blackened extremity due to mountaineering without adequate clothing
Red-necked nightjar - some tart's been at your pint!
Woodpecker - lets not go there !!
Dupont's lark - toff's wizard wheeze.
Crag martin - soon to be appearing as 007.
Grey hypocolius - needs urgent liver transplant.....oh this could go on forever!!

Birdeye said:
Edward, I agree with you about the Spangled Drongo, in fact, I was going to mention it if you hadn't. But...are you sure somebody with 'a good strong Australian accent' hasn't been pulling your leg? The false antechinus and wongai ningaui are both pouched mammals, or marsupials, not birds.

Oh, and...if you really want to hear something funny, just get somebody from a country other than this one to attempt to speak with 'a good strong Australian accent'. 3:)

Hi Rose,

I wasn't really suggesting that Spangled Drongo is a commonly used insult but I've been called a drongo a few times in Australia, a Galah more than once and a dag (another animal related word) more times than I care to remember. Wongai Ningaui and Ningbing False Antechinus are indeed mammals, the lack of feathers and presence of fur are a dead give away, as is the fact that are in my Australian mammal field guide but nowhere to be found in my bird guide ;-)

Wing-snapping Cisticola sounds like an aggressive bully, Rock-loving Cisticola locks itself in its bedroom to play air guitar?

E

halftwo said:
Senegal thick knee - soon to be eradicated tropical disease
Caucasian snowcock - blackened extremity due to mountaineering without adequate clothing
Red-necked nightjar - some tart's been at your pint!
Woodpecker - lets not go there !!
Dupont's lark - toff's wizard wheeze.
Crag martin - soon to be appearing as 007.
Grey hypocolius - needs urgent liver transplant.....oh this could go on forever!!

This just gets better and better - keep it coming guys!

You're right Edward, drongo is a common insult, as is galah, but they are usually used in a friendly way...'friendly' insults being acceptable social interaction here. If an Australian is serious about the insult, it's quite likely that the chosen term would not be printable in the forum.

I've always thought that the name of the Australian Arctic Warbler was somewhat humorous, given that this is a bird of the far northern tropical regions and Indonesia. Gibberbird springs to mind, but one of my favourites has always been Violaceous Trogon. Who said this thread could go on forever? I fear they were right. 3:)

Always liked Cock-of-the-Rock, Antpitta, Potoo. Also some Brazilians:
Caatinga Cacholote
Amazonian Umbrellabird
Hyacinth Visorbearer
Cipo Canastero
Zigzag Heron
Dinelli's Doradito
Capuchinbird
Festive Coquette
Lark-like Brushrunner

ok guys im pretty new to this birding trying 2 learn stuff here you must b pulling my leg
northern screamer yeh ok but yellow bellied sapsucker ha ha ha thats got 2 b the best.

I heard that official American name of one bird (Crested Honeycreeper) means "pubic hair" in Hawaiian.
American ornithologists were so keen to be politically correct that they overlooked it.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back