• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Need Help on bin selection! New to Birding (1 Viewer)

APSmith said:
MacGee mentioned the Yosemites. Based on the reviews here and and the price, I agree with him.

Lisa,
A moderately priced 10x is a very poor choice. I use 8x and 7x 90% of time. I take the 10x only when i go out on the preerie or the coast, if i don't take the scope.
The Yosemite 8x30 is one of the best choices to start with.

Sheats said:
Right now I just like to watch the birds from my window or outside.....

Therefore, let's consider that the Yosemite's near focus limits at ca. 16.5 ft may place a real limit on backyard birding. Perhaps Katmai (by Leuopold) should also be considered - with an impressive 4.9 ft minimum focusing. The 8x32 is a solid little unit, too!

16.5' feet doesn't seem like a deal breaker to me.

Incidentally, close focus on Mesa 10x50 is 29.5 feet -now that is a problem.

APSmith said:
16.5' feet doesn't seem like a deal breaker to me.

Incidentally, close focus on Mesa 10x50 is 29.5 feet -now that is a problem.

Close focus,with both eyes, is at 9'4" for me with the 8x30 Yosemite.

Tero said:
And here comes my target group for 9x32 roofs, which I want to be using anyway...somebody please manufacture some!

Alexis, there is yet one factor: the beginning birder tries to get away with 16x, to avoid buying scope. Rest on car hood or against tree to hold steady. I tried that route. My 16x were Bushnell powerview.
:clap: A brilliant exposé of a typical problem that cost me loads of moolah when I got back into birding in my 30´s! You brought out a self-deprecating guffaw in me there. I first got a pair of Chinon zoom binos, then an Alpex 20x60. I gave them away, but I could have used them as doorstops instead, because they were damn-all use for birding. Lisa, welcome to the world´s greatest hobby/pastime/science (delete where appropriate), and listen to the wise words of Alexis and Tero. They speak the truth. I have two "main" binos now, both top-end and cost me a bomb, but the important thing is that one is 8x32 and the other is 10x42. I used to prefer the 10x configuration, but since getting 8x I find it has become my main "all-round" bino. At some stage, you will start spending long hours in the field searching out more and more. You will probably one day want to buy a scope, and that will cover all your needs for high-magnification. Experiment with 8x binos and find the one that´s best for your eyes, hands, neck etc. Best of Luck with your choice, and let us know what you decided on!

Tero said:
And here comes my target group for 9x32 roofs, which I want to be using anyway...somebody please manufacture some!

Alexis, there is yet one factor: the beginning birder tries to get away with 16x, to avoid buying scope. Rest on car hood or against tree to hold steady. I tried that route. My 16x were Bushnell powerview.

Tero,
Leupold has just come out with a dual 9/12 x 32 Binocular. Flip a lever and go from 9x to 12x! I think it is their top of the line. Big Bucks! But now you can do it all with one binocular!
Bob
(o)<

PS It is not on their website yet. I read about them in the current issue of "American Rifleman" magazine at page 57. There are 3 new Golden Ring binoculars: The one mentioned above, a 10x/17x by 42 and a Golden Ring HD (size not given) with Calcium-Flouride Lenses.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back