• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tice's Meadow and Tongham GP, Surrey (2 Viewers)

Tice's Meadow away day, Part 2 - Friday 13th. New Forest, South Hampshire and East Dorset for Dark-eyed Junco, Spanish Sparrow, BW Teal and possibly Ring-billed Gull. The following are confirmed:

Rich H
Rich S
Matt
Dave B

John, interested?

Last edited:
I'll come Rich, even though I've already seen the Junco and Sparrow. Wouldn't turn down the oppurtunity to see them again. I suppose I'll be a help with regards to directions.

Fairly quiet at a frozen Tices this morning - 6 Snipe flushed from the meadow, 6 Meadow Pipit, 2 Reed Bunting, 11 Linnet, 50 + Lapwing, 1 Lesser Redpoll, & 15 Skylark which emerged from the workings!

John.

All frozen today cormorant flying over mallard in the stream gold finch and bullfinch in the hedge.
Steve Bailey Blackwater Valley Countryside Partnership has planed a walk from Comity Center [next to Andove Stores] Selborne Ave on the 3rd Feb at 10 am to show all whats going on and the future as far as Tices Nature Reserve.
If you can please come along .

This morning 09:30-11:00: Good but brief views of the Rail in the stream, Goldcrest with the Tit flock, 3 Snipe, 4 Skylark, & 8 Meadow Pipit on the meadow, 14 Lapwing, 5 Teal & 3 Shoveler on the workings, Sparrowhawk & Buzzard over, & calling Reed Bunting.

John.

Quieter this morning 0815 - 0930 - Just 4 Lapwing, 1 Snipe, 4 Teal, 2 Siskin, Little Egret along the river, 2 Skylark, 1 Meadow Pipit, & a Green Woodpecker.

John.

Little to add to John's tally and am surprised that I didn't bump into him. A female Tufted Duck was in the workings and a Chiffchaff was calling from between the Blackwater and the workings. No sign of the Water Rail either. Two Green Woodpeckers were duetting from the north of the Meadow.

The Water Rail showed briefly again this morning in the stream, other than that fairly quiet. An increase in the Lapwing no's to over 100 on the meadow, 2 Teal on the workings, min of 4 Skylarks, 3 Bullfinches, 2 Buzzard, 13+ Siskin, & a calling Chiffchaff near the mound.

John.

Not much to add to John s taly apart from Little Egret in stream .
Dont forget Tices walk next Friday 3rd Feb at 10am . Meeting at the Comity Centre Selborne Ave . Just by the shops. All welcome and suport most welcome .

Great views of the Rail this morning, decrease in the Lapwing flock to only 24 on the meadow. Also seen - 7 Teal in the workings, 4 Bullfinch, 17 Siskin, only 1 Snipe flushed from the meadow, Reed Bunting, Buzzard, & Grey Wagtail.

John.

Are there any plans to put together a Tice's away day for the Paddyfield (and maybe Crossbill), on Friday, or maybe Sunday?

My car is about to go in for repair, and I'd really like to give the Paddyfield a go soon.

Any takers?

sean i m up for a Tices away day sunday for paddyfield , you will have to be tour leader you say what time and where i ll drive .
Pergrine on meadow am and little else.

Very enjoyable organised walk this morning with some good birds seen/heard - first bird was a very brief view of the Water Rail in the stream. Next a Buzzard was seen heading over the meadow/workings towards the A31, & 4/5 Bullfinch in flight, (better views of a male were enjoyed later). The Green Sandpiper was heard calling somewhere in the workings, & 2 Snipe were seen in flight between the river & meadow.

John.

Thanks to john mat and every one who turned up today .Cant add to john and mats tally today.The sream diversion sounds great but it is a new one on me .Hope it will fill the workings.
Sean no worry i suppose we should of gone for paddy yesterday, but luck of the draw mate .
But am up for any tices away day.

Cold start this morning, -8, but some great birds seen mainly along the river as the workings were obviously frozen.
Bullfinches still very plentiful - at least 7 this morning - 6 Snipe flushed along the river along with the Green Sandpiper. The Kingfisher shot along the river past me, I also caught up with him perched later on the walk. A year tick in the shape of 3 Yellowhammers was welcome, & stunning close views were enjoyed of 1 of the Snipe on the banks of the river. In the workings 11 Lapwing were on the ice accompanied by 2 Common Gulls, & 2 Reed Buntings were in the reedbed. Fieldfares & Redwings are still present, 2 Skylarks in the meadow, & last of all managed to see the Water Rail again.

John.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back