• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anyone been to Minsmere? (1 Viewer)

Talons

London Birder
Just wondering, seeing as I'm going to Minsmere pretty soon (Perhaps even Friday!) so I would like to ask everyone if they have been to Minsmere and recommend any places to see the birds? Also, I have heard of avocets and booming bitterns at Minsmere, so has anyone seen or heard any of the two species at Minsmere? Please share your experiences.

Avocets by the bucketful , there are loads there , as for Bittern , don't go expecting just to walk in and see one , it's not that easy , the cryptic colours and their habit of skulking deep in the reedbeds make them super difficult ! . As for the rest of the site , the RSPB have maps strategically placed to tell you where you can go , hides aplenty and a visitor book to tell you what has been seen and where . Hope you enjoy your day !!

Ashley

I went last week! Yeah they do have booming bitterns and avocets. Avocets you will see, but bitterns! When I went this family had seen one briefly but no one else had for days. I definitely didn't. They have a great (though expensive) shop there! Enjoy your day!

Tp

There is no guarantee of bitterns but if you go to the Bittern Hide and wait long enough there is a reasonable chance of at least a flight view.

Hi Talons

Minsmere is a great day out. You should see lots of birds. Of course what you see is either down to skill or if your name is Duxon luck!!

For example. I wandered in the Bittern Hide on my first trip and sat down to be told there was no bitterns and what happens? A bittern flies across.

At a BF member meet there this year as soon as the organiser left the hide up popped a Bittern!!

You should see Marsh Harrier lots of ducks and waders espesh Avocet and you might see Bearded Tit.

On the feeders by the shop watch out for Marsh Tit

Glen Moore said:
There is no guarantee of bitterns but if you go to the Bittern Hide and wait long enough there is a reasonable chance of at least a flight view.

I must be lucky, I have been twice and seen bitterns on both occasions. In fact, I saw three on my first visit. Anyway, lots of moulting summer plumage black-tailed godwits and dunlen with the odd spotted redshank when I was there twio weeks ago. The marsh harrier was performing well at the Island Mere Hide too. If anyone is around the reserve on Thu/Fri next week (5th-6th) stop and say hello, I am helping out with the family day.

Glen Moore said:
I'll be happy if I can just hear one (or two) males booming. It would be good to see one, though.

I don't think Bitterns actually boom this late in the year (?), so you may have to make a return visit next spring. Nevertheless, I'm sure there is plenty of other stuff around to make up for it, and you'll have a great day!
James

I would try to get to the area as early as possible and use the time before Minsmere opens to have a look around Dunwich Heath as well as Westleton Heath (the bit just off the road to Dunwich).

When you get on the coastal stretch of the Minsmere circuit, walk up towards Dunwich and then down alongside the drain, that's often a good spot for all sorts. At the other end of the coastal walk, don't go straight in to Minsmere but watch around the famous sluice bushes (sit down on the grass opposite the bushes and keep your eyes peeled).

You should see plenty but Autumn and Spring are the best times to visit.

Minsmere is brilliant, been there 3 times now.

Can't remember seeing an avocet there althought I know they are there - but there are loads of them round where I live anyway. Bittern, yes, just the one - went up for an organised Bittern Safari starting at 6am - not one, not even a boom.

Island Mer Hide about 1.30 pm - bittern flies out of reeds, across the mere and proceeds to pose for the picture you always see of them, neck up in the air, pretending to be a reed.

I have been told though that for a good sighting of bitterns, Fisher Green hide at Lee Valley Park on a cold mucky day offers the best sightings. Not tried it though, booked in for this winter.

Viv said:
I have been told though that for a good sighting of bitterns, Fisher Green hide at Lee Valley Park on a cold mucky day offers the best sightings. Not tried it though, booked in for this winter.
Lee Valley... that's near to me. I'll try to check it out. Thanks for all the recommendations.

Fisher's Green is excellent for Bittern in winter - park at the road signposted for the farm, not Fisher's Green lane, and the hide is just across from the car park. They can be capricious as to whether they show or not, but it must be one of the best places for a chance.

They have a Bird Fair in February, and if you go then they usually have a Bittern staked out for the visitors somewhere.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back