• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

beginner's binoculars (1 Viewer)

brunop

hey all,
i'm pretty new to birding and need ya'lls guidance in binoculars. what is a good pair to get that is under say 5 or 6 hundred dollars? i'd really like some of the swavorski or zeiss ones, but they're a bit out of my price range right now. what are some of the better ones in this price range? thanks!!

sorry! maybe i should have put this on the optics forum! any advise is appreciated. links to previous posting on this topic, etc. thanks!

Last edited:
brunop said:
hey all,
i'm pretty new to birding and need ya'lls guidance in binoculars. what is a good pair to get that is under say 5 or 6 hundred dollars? i'd really like some of the swavorski or zeiss ones, but they're a bit out of my price range right now. what are some of the better ones in this price range? thanks!!

sorry! maybe i should have put this on the optics forum! any advise is appreciated. links to previous posting on this topic, etc. thanks!

Have a look at Zeiss Conquest's at Eagle Optics, very good bin's and semi-reasonable at $549, here's the link:

http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?dept=1&type=19&purch=1&pid=3900

Good luck,

Jaeger near Chicago

Hi Brunop,

Not sure how much they would retail for in the US, but have you looked at Nikon 8*32 SEs??

These are optically first-rate, and there's no reason why your first pair shouldn't be the only pair that you ever need!!

Only downsides are :-

They are not truly waterproof, but I suspect waterproof enough unless you plan to use them scuba-diving...

Some people have problems with black-outs, but in my experience this is down to getting the inter-pupil distance, and the positioning against the eyes right.

Give 'em a try.....

It's generally stated that one should buy the best optics he/she can afford. I learned that lesson the hard way, of course.

Checking Eagle Optics is a great way to do some comparison shopping. Their website even has several articles about the features birders find useful in their optics.

www.betterviewdesired.com is another very useful resource.

Budgets are usually limiting factors, but knowing your options will certainly help you make the most of your outlay.

Steve in Houston

hi,i had a similar predicament,before i bought mine,i had a budget of about £200 and decided to get the bushnell nature view roof 8x42,i think i was just lucky with my choice becouse iv found them to be good for me,on hindsight the best advice i would listen to if i could go back in time,would be to try as many different types as poss,then you would have some good comparisons to make a better choice for yourself,i have since and am still pleased with mine. so maybe you might want to take a look through some bushnell bins,just to see wot theyr like.you never know you might like them.

thanks dudes! you're right. i'm gonna be in new york city next week and i'll just hunt up an optical shop that (hopefully) carries many different brands and try 'em out. (actually paragon sports has a lot i think--anyone know of another place to go to compare?). my main concern is getting some that work well with glasses as i don't wear contacts and can't see without my glasses. thanks again!

brunop said:
t. i'm gonna be in new york city next week and i'll just hunt up an optical shop that (hopefully) carries many different brands and try 'em out. (actually paragon sports has a lot i think--anyone know of another place to go to compare?).
Brunop,

In New York City, these two shops may be of interest:
Adorama on W. 17th St.
B&H Photo on West 34th St.
Both have web sites.
Also Cameraland, on Lexington Avenue, which has a limited web site.

Good luck,
Arthur Pinewood

brunop said:
hey all,

Nikon have recently replaced the superb HG ( I think they may be called LX in the USA). As a result they are being sold in the UK for £380 (less than $600), which is about half their original price. I'd check the internet and see if there is a similar deal in the US, there must be a good chance as usually you get most things considerably cheaper than us.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back