• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ant-Lion ID help please~SW Turkey (1 Viewer)

Atricapilla

Still Wandering
We have just returned from a walk where we disturbed this "ant-lion" from the scrub.
Is it a Palpares libelluloides???

Attachments

• Ant -lion 2.jpg
    Ant -lion 2.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 66
  • Ant-lion 1.jpg
    Ant-lion 1.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Ant-lion.jpg
    Ant-lion.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 52
Looks a dead ringer for the illustration in 'Insects of Britain and Western Europe' by Michael Chinery, though of course other species may occur in your area. A belter anyway.

Cheers,

Thomas

Looks a dead ringer for the illustration in 'Insects of Britain and Western Europe' by Michael Chinery, though of course other species may occur in your area. A belter anyway.

Cheers,

Thomas

Yes,that's the only book I have on Insects.
Just wish I had got a shot of it with it's wings open,I think that would have helped with identification.

I've just done a quick Google search and your photo really does look good for the species. Plenty of images available and no obvious 'wrong' features showing but lots of 'good' ones, as it were.

I don't know if you've tried this but in case you haven't, I think it'd be worth your while. I'd hate to think there was any suggestion of teaching anything to do with eggs being sucked however.

Good luck with nailing its ID,

Thomas

I've just done a quick Google search and your photo really does look good for the species. Plenty of images available and no obvious 'wrong' features showing but lots of 'good' ones, as it were.

I don't know if you've tried this but in case you haven't, I think it'd be worth your while. I'd hate to think there was any suggestion of teaching anything to do with eggs being sucked however.

Good luck with nailing its ID,

Thomas

Thanks Thomas,I am going with this lead:~
"Looks a dead ringer for the illustration in 'Insects of Britain and Western Europe' by Michael Chinery" which is the nearest I could find.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back