• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

black headed gulls! (1 Viewer)

Hi all, just a quickie, - i was driving through the suburbs last week and noticed a few b/h/gulls on a lampost (as you do), and i noticed that one of them was in fine summer plumage with full black cap. Is this strange for 31st dec or does this happen at all? |:S|
Your comments are appreciated.

A few BH Gulls do start to get the black head back from late December. The ones on my local lake are a mixture of blackish heads to normal winter plumage.

I've just had one his afternoon at Boulmer beach which was about three-quarters moulted :t: Made me look twice it did....just in case it was anything 'exotic' :-O

Last edited:
I saw a couple of distinctly brown heads on the ones near us yesterday. Made me think spring may not be so far away after all..

Yes..made me look too, only problem was i was driving at the time and narrowly missed the kerb! :(
That's the problem when you are a delivery driver and birder!!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back