• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zen-Ray Binoculars Giveaways. Ultimate Prize: two pairs of PRIME HD binoculars (20 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
(Australian) Magpie

Gentle warbling dawn
Glorious vibrato melody
Cranky squawky bully boy gangs

Chosun :gh:

P.S. Gretchen, I think our maggies are slighty different or is that just schizophrenic?!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Magpie

P.P.S. Tried to find an example of their "soft" warbling song and "mimicry" and this was the closest I could get in a short time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0yK0E-yTGw

P.P.P.S. Also tried to find an example of their "Mr. Hyde" nature, and came across this rather Seuth Afrikaan? sounding chap explaining the maggies predilection to attack (motor)/bicycles (apparently evolved over 1000's of years!!! What The??? LOL)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=WRH0ZPPS0Z8&feature=endscreen

Seriously though, they have caused blindness and even fatalities before, and are territorially aggressive during breeding season.
When my uncle was a kid, he even had one dive bomb him with so much conviction that its beak became firmly embedded in the back of his head!!!! Apparently the look on the faces and dropped jaws of the ER staff at the hospital was quite something |8.|

Reminds me of a poor "postie" who used to deliver around a big shopping centre near where I worked. Hundreds and hundreds! of people around, and yet this one cranky maggie used to relentlessly attack this poor bloke for about a mile - despite his best efforts at all manner of painted faces, large eyes, and sunglasses on the back of his helmet, riding hidden under the shopping centre awning, or even wheeling his motorbike through the centre to come out at various different exits ...... and this maggie would be waiting - and nail him every single time! :eek!:
I think the poor fella may have ended up in some sort of institution!

Beautiful dawn chorus though .... and if you ever hear one doing their 'soft warbling' or 'mimicry' - then that's a real treat ....
(same goes for the butcherbirds too)
But! They're not even afraid of giving raptors the odd bit of stick .... cranky indeed!
Magpie_chasing_Brown_Goshawk_(Immature)_wiki.jpg

Last edited:
pshute, only three question marks today? You must be feeling more confident about a winning number.

Me, I'll leave $$$$$$. One for each hundred dollars I will save if I win a Prime ED.

Hagar

Go to bed Hagar! Dream of winning! Little Eddie will be your "binocular bearer." "You gotta have a dream! If you don't have a dream-how you gonna make your dream come true?" Bloody Mary.

Meanwhile, I'm entering this contest too.

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back