• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Three Lifers and a veritable feast of Red Kites! (1 Viewer)

P

peter hayes

Location Little Marlow Gravel Pit
Aston Rowant
Personnel Kevin, Common 1241 (Steve), Peter Hayes
Weather Extremely hot and humid

I travelled on a near empty tube from St James Park to Hatton Cross, where ex-Marine Kevin was waiting for me in his summer outfit, which is only slightly less jungly in nature that his frightening winter gear. We drove West and arrived in Little Marlow at 09.30, a full 30 minutes before the RV time. We sat in this lovely and expensive looking village taking in the sights. The trouble is, the fold out seats were tiny. I complained that they were no better than shooting sticks - hardly the Director’s chairs I was used to, with the Velcro operated pocket for drinks. Kevin silenced me with “you southern jessie!” and we resumed our observations of Little Marlow on a lovely Sunday morning.

First a man passed by and called to a woman who appeared at a first floor window wearing nothing but a white bra. She leaned forward to make herself better heard. On seeing us she took absolutely no notice whatsoever and finished her conversation before disappearing inside. We were beginning to warm to Little Marlow. Just then a car drew up and a couple emerged. He carried a small rucksack, she some newspapers. She was built like Jordan and wearing one of those thin, skimpy tea dresses so popular in the forties. The Mrs Minerva type. They disappeared into the woods sans binoculars. We speculated, as men of a certain age are apt to do, on what on earth they could be up to.

Steve arrived and we filled him in about the day’s proceedings so far. “What, no birds!” he exclaimed. We thought we had better get organised, so bins and scopes at the ready we set off. We soon heard a Green Woodpecker and saw a Collared Dove, followed by a few House Martins, a Wood Pigeon and a Blackbird. Kevin then spotted a small bird on a telephone wire quite a distance away. Its scratchy sound indicated a Whitethroat, which was confirmed by closer inspection. Carrion Crow and Magpie followed. I spotted a Robin, which whipped into the woods before the other two could clap eyes on it. I was one ahead for the day!

As we arrived at the main expanse of water constituting Little Marlow Gravel Pit we could see a spit ahead of us teeming with birds. I was amazed at what I saw. Here we were not far from London, and in what is supposed to be the birding doldrums, looking out on a superb variety of species. We got the scopes into action pronto and saw 12 Egyptian Geese (lifer for me), plus Black Headed Gulls, Lesser Black-backed Gulls, Coot, Heron, Tufted Duck, Lapwing, and several Common Tern - some flying overhead. Then I spotted another lifer for me – a Little Ringed Plover. There were also Canada Geese, Mallard, Moorhen and Ringed Plover.

The sun shone, a Warbler was often heard but annoyingly not seen, and all was well with the world. We could see tall trees on islands in the middle of the water, reeds around the side and woods to our right. Gravel extraction may be unsightly, but if this is the end result, let’s have more!

At various points in the day, Steve and I would marvel at Kevin’s attire. You cannot buy this stuff in the shops, Ladies and Gentlemen. Oh no. Everything he wears has a purpose. It has been adapted to make him the leanest, meanest birding machine known to man. If he wants a drink, he merely lifts a tube to his lips and sucks. The therma plastic contraption containing what looks like weak wee - but is probably diluted orange juice - leads to a plastic reservoir secreted somewhere at the back of his jacket. He calls it his hydration system. Naturally, he carries everything a birder could possibly need, from the Collins Guide to cotton buds. Kevin even had two types of loose tobacco for his pipe. I prefer his Mellow Virginia.

Steve dressed for summer. His shorts were quite fetching, though not so much his knees. And he seemed to have judged proceedings rather better than his compatriots until the fateful moment we had to walk along quite a long, nettle strewn path.

We then clocked a lovely Cormorant sunning its wings, many Mute Swans, a Wren, and Steve spotted the first Great Crested Grebe. A Chaffinch appeared on the path ahead of us as we turned away from the gravel pit and into the woods. A very pleasant walk ensued. The tall Poplar trees swayed gently in the breeze, and at various times the arboreal canopy was so massive, so all encompassing, so overwhelming as it arched over our heads it was like some gigantic cathedral that nature had dreamed up for our delectation, as Steve observed.
We heard various Warblers but didn’t get a good enough sighting for identification. Out of the woods, across a field and suddenly we were beside the Thames. What a sight greeted us: posh riverside houses, people out strolling, and gin palaces cruising up and down along the river. It was a classic English summer’s day. We then saw a Swallow, which was quickly followed by a Pied Wagtail on a jetty. House Sparrows followed, plus Sand Martins flying low over the water.

Then Steve saw a raptor, which turned out to be a Hobby. A bonus. A large number of Geese swarmed around, mostly Canadas, but we also spotted Greylag and one Bar Headed. We picked our way along the towpath as various cattle grazed at the water’s edge, some going right in to cool down and have a slurp, and we avoided the temptation of an ice-cream to turn back inland. Stopping by a bridge, an idyllic scene lay ahead. A small stream with Lilies floating on the surface, grass on one side and trees on the other. Kevin murmured that the Americans would give anything to bottle this!

We had heard a particular bird all morning: the Green Woodpecker, but it had chosen not to grace us with its presence. As we marvelled at the quintessentially English view in front of us, Steve suddenly shouted “Green Woodpecker!” Almost immediately this was followed by “Great Spotted!” And to add to his personal joy he saw a Kingfisher zooming over a house (Kevin and I were unsighted). We reflected that it was often better to stand still when birdwatching!

Jackdaws followed, and then my third lifer of the day, a Red Kite. It was in the distance, but unmistakable with its huge wingspan and forked tail. Pleased as I was, I hoped for better views later in the day. A female Blackcap was added to the list, then I saw a Kingfisher thanks to Steve’s acute powers of observation, and we all finally came face to face with a Reed Warbler. A Long Tailed Tit, the only Tit of the day, surprisingly, nudged us past a day list of 40. This was followed by Song Thrush, Garden Warbler and Stock Dove as we made our way back round Little Marlow Gravel Pit. By this time the others had also spotted a Robin, so we were even. And then Kevin saw a Kingfisher, the fourth of the day. This is turning into a superb day’s birding, I thought.

The total was 45 species and it was only lunch time! Excellent for this time of the year, and a marvellous place to bird in the winter too, according to Steve.
After a superb lunch back in Little Marlow (same spot as breakfast, but notable for the lack of shows by semi naked women) we drove up the M40 to Aston Rowant. This is a nature reserve on the Chilterns which looks across the vast Oxfordshire plain. We settled on the first viewing point and waited for Red Kites. Almost immediately we saw some objects far away with a definite red tint floating on the thermals. They turned out to be parachutists! That scuppered things for a bit, but we were eventually rewarded for our wait with several superb views of Red Kites. One of them put on a personal show for us, coming ever closer; twisting and turning, using its forked tail as a rudder, effortlessly gliding and circling without so much of a twitch of its huge wings.

After we said goodbye to Steve and rejoined the M40, Kevin and I saw SIX Red Kites in one small area, followed by another two. A total of 14 in one day. Not bad for someone who'd never seen one before!

So… a fantastic day out. Thanks very much indeed to Steve, whose idea this was, and whose ears were the key to success time and time again. A gent. And Kevin, who drove me to our chosen location yet again, thanks very much for your company and your birding skills.

I look forward to going back to Little Marlow Gravel Pits in the winter. I wonder if that woman in the window will be wearing more clothes then?

Wonderful read, Peter, and food for thought for me as I'm down in M40-land myself next weekend.

Three lifers in a single day must be a good day!

I must say that I am comforted that other more esteemed BFers than I also refer to heard and not seen Warblers by their generic name.

I'd like to think my knees would give Steve's a run for their money, but Kevin's get-up sounds truly frightening!!!

A good read. It reminded me that we haven't been to Aston Rowant since my son graduated from Oxford - a stop there was a good way to break up those twice a term trips from Kent. It really is a great place for Kites.

Birdman - thanks for your comments. And you are right, Kevin is not a figure to be trifled with, especially when emerging from the jungle in full camo!

If you are in the area next weekend you'll have to take a look for yourself.

Peter

Yes ... good reading. Kites are a bit of a target of mine, at some point in the future. never seen one. so thats useful.

By the way ... the 45 .... does that include the bird in the window ?

Thanks Carlos, and no, Steve was very insistent that we only included birds of the feathered variety.............

A great read and you truly gripped me off with the Little Ringed Plover and the Red Kites. I would dearly love to see a Red Kite! That lady in t' window would be a good tick too!

I went to Gigrin for Red Kites as a Birthday present in late January.

There was reported to be one amongst Ospreys at Rutland on Saturday but I didn't go that way. Actually I have a question about the tickability of both species, which I'll raise later.

Hi Walwyn,

The English & Scottish Red Kites were officially decreed by the BOURC 2 or 3 years ago to be now 'established', putting them in Category C, and therefore 'tickable'.

Don't think the Rutland Ospreys have been so decreed yet, but equally, the female of the first breeding pair was a genuine wild Scottish bird, NOT one of the releases, so she is certainly 'tickable'.

Michael

Nice report Peter. You did better with new lifers than I did at the weekend. Missed out on a Red-footed Falcon at Fen Drayton. Arrived 1.5 hours too late on Saturday, and it was a no show on Sunday.

Thanks to Robin and Carlos for your comments.

Michael, I'm glad you posted that confirmation. I had no doubt about the tickability of Red Kites but it's nice to have it officially!

Paul: sorry you had such a frustrating weekend, but that's what makes birding all the more enjoyable when you succeed!

Best wishes.

Peter

Thanks John. You can rest assured I will be going back to Little Marlow. Whether I'll take my bins is another matter!

Bit late responding, but many thanks for the offer Kevin.

At the minute I've got no idea what the "schedule" will be. Partnyorsha is meeting up with her best friend, and I will be left to my own devices.

As we don't get down that way very often, I thought I might take the chance and go the whole hog down to the New Forest for the afternoon!

What a stunner Peter, and the woman in the bra sounds interesting too, what a days birding you had Kingfishers galore Little and Ringed Plovers and Red Kites, well done all of you.

Did you know that in the 16th century the Kite was called the 'Puttock' and in one of Shakespeares plays to quote:

Who finds the partridge in the puttocks nest
But may imagine how the bird was dead,
Although the Kite soar with unbloodies beak?
Even so suspicious is this tragedy.

Kingfisher I didn't know you were such a literary Lion! What about this then? Lots of birds in this.............

Christopher Smart: JUBILATE AGNO
Opening of Fragment 'B'...

Let Elízur rejoice with the Partridge, who is a prisoner of state and is proud of his keepers...
For I am not without authority in my jeopardy, which I derive inevitably from the glory of the name of the Lord...
Let Shedeur rejoice with Pyráusta, who dwelleth in a medium of fire, which God hath adapted for him...
For I bless God whose name is Jealous - and there is a zeal to deliver us from everlasting burnings...
Let Shelúmiel rejoice with Olor, who is of goodly savour, and the very look of him harmonizes the mind...
For my existimation is good even amongst the slanderers and my memory shall arise for a sweet savour unto the Lord...
Let Jael rejoice with the Plover, who whistles for his life, and foils the marksmen and their guns...
For I bless the PRINCE of PEACE and pray that all the guns may be nail'd up, save such as are for the rejoicing days...
Let Raguel rejoice with the Cock of Portugal - God send good Angels to the allies of England!...
For I have abstained from the blood of the grape and that even at the Lord's table...
Let Hobab rejoice with Necýdalus, who is the Greek of a Grub...
For I have glorified God in GREEK and LATIN, the consecrated languages spoken by the Lord on earth...
Let Zúrisháddai with the Polish Cock rejoice - the Lord restore peace to Europe...
For I meditate the peace of Europe amongst family bickerings and domestic jars...
Let Zuar rejoice with the Guinea Hen - the Lord add to his mercies in the WEST!...
For the HOST is in the WEST - the Lord make us thankful unto salvation...
Let Chesed rejoice with Strepsíceros, whose weapons are the ornaments of his peace...
For I preach the very GOSPEL of CHRIST without comment and with this weapon I shall slay envy...
Let Hagar rejoice with Gnesion, who is the right sort of eagle, and towers the highest...
For I bless God in the rising generation, which is on my side...
Let Libni rejoice with the redshank, who migrates not but is translated to the upper regions...
For I have translated in the charity, which makes things better and I shall be translated myself at the last...
Let Nahshon rejoice with the Seabreeze, the Lord give the sailors of his Spirit...
For he that walketh upon the sea, hath prepared the floods with the Gospel of peace...
Let Helon rejoice with the Woodpecker - the Lord encourage the propagation of trees!...
For the merciful man is merciful to his beast, and to the trees that give them shelter...
Let Amos rejoice with the Coote - prepare to meet thy God, O Israel!...
For he hath turned the shadow of death into the morning, the Lord is his name...
Let Ephah rejoice with Bupréstis, the Lord endue us with temperance and humanity, till every cow have her mate!...
For I am come home again, but there is nobody to kill the calf or to pay the musick...
Let Sarah rejoice with the redwing, whose harvest is in the frost and snow...
For the hour of my felicity, like the womb of Sarah, shall come at the latter end...
Let Rébekah rejoice with the Ïynx, who hlds his head on one side to deceive the adversary...
For I shou'd have avail'd myself of waggery, had not malice been multitudinous...
Let Shuah rejoice with Boa, which is the vocal serpent...
For there are still serpents that can speak - God bless my head, my heart and my heel...
Let Éhud rejoice with Onocrótalus, whose braying is for the glory of God, because he makes the best musick in his power...
For I bless God that I am of the same seed as Éhud, Mútius Scævola, and Colonel Draper...
Let Shamgar rejoice with Otis, who looks about him for the glory of God, and sees the horizon compleat at once...
For the word of God is a sword on my side - no matter what other weapon, a stick or a straw...
Let Bohan rejoice with Scythian Stag - he is beef and breeches against want and nakedness...
For I have adventured myself in the name of the Lord, and he hath mark'd me for his own...
Let Achsah rejoice with the Pigeon who is an antidote to malignity and will carry a letter...
For I bless God for the Postmaster general and all conveyancers of letters under his care especially Allen and Shelvock... [see note below]
Let Tohu rejoice with the Grouse - the Lord further the cultivation of heaths & the peopling of deserts...
For my grounds in New Canaan shall infinitely compensate for the flats and maynes of Staindrop Moor...
Let Hillel rejoice with Ámmodýtes, whose colour is deceitful and he plots against the pilgrim's feet...
For the praise of God can give to a mute fish the notes of a nightingale...
Let Eli rejoice with Leucon - he is an honest fellow, which is a rarity...
For I have seen the White Raven and Thomas Hall of Willingham and am my self a greater curiosity than both...
Let Jemuel rejoice with Charádrius, who is from the HEIGHT and the sight of him is good for the jaundice...
For I look up to heaven which is my prospect to escape envy by mounting it ...
Let Pharaoh rejoice with Anatária, whom God permits to pray upon the ducks to check their increase...
For if Pharaoh had known Joseph, he would have blessed God and me for the illumination of the people...
Let Lotan rejoice with Sáuterelle. Blessed be the name of the Lord from the Lote-tree to the Palm...
For I pray God to bless improvements in gardening till London be a city of palm-trees...
Let Dishon rejoice with the Landrail, God give his grace to the society for preserving the game...
For I pray to give his grace to the poor of England, that Charity be not offended and that benevolence may increase...
Let Hushim rejoice with the King's Fisher, who is of royal beauty, though plebeian in size...
For in my nature I quested for beauty, but God, God hath sent me to sea for pearls...
Let Machir rejoice with Convólvulus, from him to the ring of Saturn, which is the girth of Job; to the signet of God - from Job and his daughters BLESSED BE JESUS...
For there is a blessing from the STONE of JESUS which is founded upon hell to the precious jewell on the right hand of God...
Let Atad bless with Éleos, the nightly Memorialist - eléison kýrië...
For the nightly Visitor is at the window of the impenitent, while I sing a psalm of my own composing...
Let Jamin rejoice with the Bittern - blessed be the name of Jesus for Denver Sluice, Ruston, and the draining of the fens...
For there is a note added to the scale, which the Lord hath made fuller, stronger and more glorious...
Let Ohad rejoice with Bytúros who eateth the vine and is a minister of temperance...
For I offer my goat as he browses the vine, bless the Lord from chambering and drunkeness...
Let Zohar rejoice with Cýchramus who cometh with the quails on a particular affair...
For there is a traveling for the glory of God without going to italy and France...
Let Serah, the daughter of Asher, rejoice with Ceyx, who maketh his cabin in the Halcyon's hold...
For I bless the children of Asher for the evil I did them and the good I might have received at their hands...
Let Mágdiel rejoice with Áscarídes, which is the life of the bowels - the worm hath a part in our frame...
For I rejoice like a worm in the rain in him that cherishes and from him that tramples...
Let Becher rejoice with Oscen who terrifies the wicked, as trumpet and alarm the coward...
For I am ready for the trumpet and alarm to fight, to die and rise again...
Let Shaul rejoice with Circos, who hath clumsy legs, but he can wheel it the better with his wings. -
For the banish'd of the Lord shall come about again, for so he hath prepar'd for them...
Let Hamul rejoice with the Crystal, who is pure and translucent...
For sincerity is a jewel which is pure and transparent, eternal and inestimable...
Let Zíphion rejoice with the Tit-Lark who is a groundling, but he raises the spirits...
For my hands and my feet are perfect as the sublimity of Náphtali and the felicity of Asher...
Let Mibzar rejoice with the Cadess, as is their number, so are their names, blessed be the Lord Jesus for them all...
For the names and number of animals are as the name and number of the stars...
Let Juhal rejoice with Cæcília, the woman and the slow-worm praise the name of the Lord...
For I pray the Lord Jesus to translate my MAGNIFICAT into verse and represent it...
Let Aródi rejoice with the Royston Crow, there is a society of them at Trumpington and Cambridge...
For I bless the Lord Jesus from the bottom of Royston Cave to the top of King's Chapel...
Let Aréli rejoice with the Criel, who is a dwarf that towereth above others...
For I am a little fellow, which is entitled to the great mess by the benevolence of God my father...
Let Phuvah rejoice with Platycerótës, whose weapons of defence keep them innocent...
For I this day made over my inheritance to my mother in consideration of her infirmities...
Let Shimron rejoice with the Kite, who is of more value than many sparrows...
For I this day made over my inheritance to my mother in consideration of her age...
Let Sered rejoice with the Wittal - a silly bird is wise unto his own preservation...
For I this day made over my inheritance to the mother in consideration of her poverty...
Let Elon rejoice with Attélabus, who is the Locust without wings...
For I bless the thirteenth of August, in which I had the grace to obey the voice of Christ in my conscience...
Let Jahleel rejoice with the Woodcock, who liveth upon suction and is pure from his diet...
For I bless the thirteenth of August, in which I was willing to run all hazards for the sake of the name of the Lord...
Let Shuni rejoice with the Gull, who is happy in not being good for food...
For I bless the thirteenth of August, in which I was willing to be called a fool for the sake of Christ...
Let Ezbon rejoice with Músimon, who is from the ram and she-goat...
For I lent my flocks and my herds and my lands at once unto the Lord...
Let Barkos rejoice with the Black Eagle, which is the least of his species and the best-natured...
For nature is more various than observation tho' observers be innumerable...
Let Bedan rejoice with Óssifrage - the bird of prey and the man of prayer...
For Agricola is Georgos, which is by the blessing of God Saint George
Let Naomi rejoice with Pséudosphéce who is between a wasp and a hornet...
For I pray to God to bless POLLY in the blessing of Naomi and assign her to the house of DAVID...
Let Ruth rejoice with the Tumbler - it is a pleasant thing to feed him and be thankful...
For I am in charity with the French who are my foes and Moabites because of the Moabitish women...
Let Ram rejoice with the Fieldfare, who is a good gift from God in the season of scarcity...
For my Angel is always ready at a pinch to help me out and to keep me up...
Let Manoah rejoice with Cerástus, who is a Dragon with horns...
For CHRISTOPHER must slay the Dragon with a PHEON's head...
Let Talmai rejoice with Alcédo, who makes a cradle for its young which is rock'd by the winds...
For they have separated me and my bosom, whereas the right comes by setting us together...
Let Bukki rejoice with the Buzzard, who is clever, with the reputation of a silly fellow...
For silly fellow! silly fellow! is against me and belongeth neither to me nor my family...
Let Michal rejoice with Leucrócuta who is a mixture of beauty and mananimity...
For he that scorneth the scorner hath condescended to my low estate...
Let Abiah rejoice with Morphnus who is a bird of passage to the Heavens...
For Abiah is the father of Joab and Joab of all Romans and English Men...
Let Hur rejoice with the Water-wag-tail, who is a neighbour, and loves to be looked at...
For they pass me by in their tour, and the good Samaritan is not yet come. -
Let Dodo rejoice with the Purple Worm, who is cloathed sumptuously, tho' he fares meanly...
For I bless God in the behalf of TRINITY COLLEGE in CAMBRIDGE and the society of PURPLES in LONDON...
Let Ahío rejoice with the Merlin who is a cousin german of the hawk...
For I have a nephew Christopher to whom I implore the grace of God...
Let Joram rejoice with the Water-Rail, who takes his delight in the river...
For I pray God bless the CAM - Mr HIGGS and Mr and Mrs WASHBOURNE as the drops of the dew...
Let Chíleab rejoice with Ophíon who is clean made, less than an hart, and a Sardinian...
For I pray God bless the king of Sardinia and make him an instrument of his peace...
Let Shephátiah rejoice with the little Owl, which is winged Cat...
For I am possessed of a cat, surpassing in beauty, from whom I take occasion to bless Almighty God...
Let Íthrëam rejoice with the great Owl, who understandeth that which he professes...
For I pray God for the Professors of the University of Cambridge to attend and to amend...
Let Ábigail rejoice with the Lethóphagus - God be gracious to the widows indeed...
For the Fatherless Children and Widows are never deserted of the Lord...
Let Ánanthoth bless with Saurix, who is a bird of melancholy...
For I pray God be gracious to the house of Stuart and consider their afflictions...
Let Shammus rejoice with the Vultur who is strength and fierceness...
For I pray God be gracious to the seed of Virgil, to Mr GOODMAN SMITH of King's and Joseph STUD...
Let Shobab rejoice with Evech who is of the goat kind which is meditation and pleasantry...
For I give God the glory that I am a son of Abraham a Prince of the house of my fathers...
Let Ittai the Gittite rejoice with the Gerfalcon - amicus certus in re incerta cernitur...
For my brethren have dealt deceitfully as a brook, and as the stream of brooks that pass away...
Let Ibhar rejoice with the Pochard - a child born on prosperity is the chiefest blessing of peace...
For I bless God for my retreat at CANBURY, as it was the place of the nativity of my children...
Let Elíshua rejoice with Cantháris - God send bread and milk to the children...
For I pray to God to give them the food which I cannot earn for them any otherwise than by prayer...
Let Chimhan bless with Drepánis who is a passenger from the sea to heaven...
For I pray God bless the Chinese which are of ABRAHAM and the gospel grew with them at the first...
Let Toi rejoice with Percnópteros which haunteth the sugar-fens...
For I bless God in the honey of the sugar-cane and the milk of the cocoa...
Let Népheg rejoice with Cenchris which is the spotted serpent...
For I bless God in the libraries of the learned and for all the booksellers in the world...
Let Japhía rejoice with Butéo who hath three testicles...
For I bless God in the strength of my loins and for the voice which he hath made sonorous...
Let Gíbeon rejoice with the Puttock, who will shift for himself to the last extremity...
For 'tis no more a merit to provide for oneself, but to quit all for the sake of the Lord...
Let Elisháma rejoice with Mylæcos: “Stay your hand for the mill, you grinders; long may you sleep!...
For there is no invention but by the gift of God, & no grace like the grace of gratitude...
Let Elímelech rejoice with the Horn-Owl who is of gravity and amongst my friends in the tower...
For grey hairs are honourable and tell every one of them to the glory of God...
Let Eliáda rejoice with the Gier-eagle who is swift and of great penetration...
For I bless the Lord Jesus for the memory of GAY, POPE and SWIFT...
Let Elíphalet rejoice with Eródius who is God's good creature, which is sufficient for him...
For all good works are from GOD, and all others are cent...
Let Jonathan, David's nephew, rejoice with Oripelárgus who is noble by his ascent...
For I am enobled by my ascent and the Lord hath raised my above my Peers...
Let Sheva rejoice with the Hobby, who is the service of the great....
For I pray God bless my Lord CLARENDON and his seed for ever...
Let Áhimaaz rejoice with the Silver-Worm who is a living mineral....
For there is silver in my mines and I bless God that it is rather there than in my coffers...
Let Shobi rejoice with the Kastrel - blessed be the name JESUS on falconry and in the MALL...
For I blessed God in St James's Park till I routed all the company...
Let Élkanah rejoice with Cymíndis - the Lord illuminate us against the powers of darkness...
For the officers of the peace are at variance with me, and the watchman smites me with his staff...
Let Ziba rejoice with Glottis whose tongue is wreathed in his throat...
For I am the seed of the WELCH WOMAN and speak the truth from my heart...
Let Micah rejoice with the spotted Spider, who counterfeits death to effect his purposes...
For they lay wagers touching my life. - God be gracious to the winners...
Let Rizpah rejoice with the Eyed Moth who is beautiful in corruption...
For the piety of Rizpah is imitable in the Lord - wherefore I pray for the dead...
Let Náharai, Job's armour-bearer rejoice with Rock who is a bird of stupendous magnitude...
For the Lord is my ROCK and I am the bearer of his CROSS...
Let Abiézer, the Anéthothite, rejoice with Phrynos who is the scaled frog...
For I am like a frog in the brambles, but the Lord hath put his whole armour upon me...
Let Machon rejoice with Parcas who is a serpent more innocent than others ...
For I was a Viper-catcher in my youth and the Lord delivered me from his venom...
Let Lápidoth rejoice with Percnos - the Lord is the builder of the wall of CHINA - REJOICE!
For I rejoice that I attribute to God what others vainly ascribe to feeble man ...
Let Ahínoam rejoice Prester - The seed of the woman hath bruised the serpents head...
For I am ready to die for his sake - who layd down his life for all mankind...
Let Phurah rejoice with Penélope, the servant of Gideon with the fowl of the brook...
For the son of JOSHUA shall prevail against the servant of Gideon - Good men have their betters...
Let Jether, son of Gideon, rejoice with Écchetæ which are musical grasshoppers...
For my seed shall worship the Lord JESUS as numerous and musical as the grasshoppers of Paradise
Let Hushai rejoice with the Osprey who is able to parry the eagle...
For I pray God to turn the council of Ahitophel into foolishness...
Let Eglah rejoice with Phaláris who is a pleasant object upon the water...
For the learning of the Lord increases daily, as the sun is an improving angel...
Let Haggith rejoice with the white Weasel who devoureth the honey and it's maker...
For I pray God for a reformation amongst the women and the restoration of the veil....
Let Ábital rejoice with Ptyas who is arrayed in green and gold...
For beauty is better to look upon than to meddle with and tis good for a man not to know a woman...
Let Maacah rejoice with Drýophyte who was blessed of the Lord in the valley...
For the Lord Jesus made him a nosegay and blessed it and he blessed the inhabitants of flowers...
Let Zabud Solomon's friend rejoice with Oryx who is a frolicksome mountaineer...
For a faithful friend is the medicine of life, but a neighbour in the Lord is better than he...
Let Adóniram the receiver general of the excise rejoice with Hypnálë the sleepy adder...
For I stood up betimes in behalf of LIBERTY, PROPERTY, and NO EXCISE...
Let Pédahel rejoice with Pítyocámpa who eateth his house in the pine...
For they began with grubbing up my trees and now they have excluded the planter...
Let Ibzan rejoice with the Brandling - the Lord further the building of bridges and making rivers navigable...
For I am the Lord's builder and free and accepted MASON in CHRIST JESUS...
Let Gílead rejoice with the Gentle - the Lord make me a fisher of men...
For I bless God in all gums and balsams and every thing that ministers relief to the sick...
Let Zelóphehad rejoice with Áscalabótes who casteth not his coat till a new one is prepared for him...
For the Sun's at work to make me a garment and the Moon is at work for my wife...
Let Mahlah rejoice with Pellos who is a tall bird and stately...
For tall and stately are against me, but humiliation in humiliation is on my side...
Let Tirzah rejoice wth Tylus which is the Cheeslip and food for the chicken...
For I have a providential acquaintance with men who bear the names of animals...
Let Hoglah rejoice with Leontóphonos who will kill the lion, if he is eaten...
For I bless God to Mr Lion Mr Cock Mr Cat Mr Talbot Mr Hart Mrs Fysh Mr Grub, and Miss Lamb...
Let Milcah rejoice with the Horned Beetle who will strike a man in the face...
For they throw my horns in my face and reptiles make themselves wings against me...
Let Noah rejoice with Hibris who is from a wild boar and a tame sow...
For I bless God for the immortal soul of Mr Pigg of DOWNHAM in NORFOLK...
Let Abdon rejoice with the Glede who is very voracious and may not himself be eaten...
For I fast this day even the 31st of August New Style to prepare for the SABBATH of the Lord...
Let Zuph rejoice with Dipsas, whose bite causeth thirst...
For the bite of an Adder is cured by its greese and the malice of my enemies by their stupidity...
Let Schechem of Manásseh rejoice with the Green Worm whose livery is of the field...
For I bless God in SHIPBOURNE FAIRLAWN the meadows the brooks and the hills...
Let Gera rejoice with the Night Hawk - blessed are those who watcheth when others sleep...
For the adversary hath exasperated the very birds against me, but the Lord sustain'd me...
Let Anath rejoice with Rauca who inhabiteth the root of the oak...
For I bless God for my Newcastle friends, the voice of the raven and the heart of the oak...
Let Cherub rejoice with the Cherub who is a bird and a blessed Angel....
For I bless God for every feather from the wren in the sedge to the CHERUBS and their MATES...
[an interesting footnote has been supplied by Mark Grace:
Smart's Jubilate Agno contains the following lines in Opening of Fragment B:
"Let Achsah rejoice with the Pigeon who is an antidote to malignity and will carry a letter...
For I bless God for the Postmaster general and all conveyancers of letters under his care especially Allen and Shelvock..."
The name Shelvock refers to George Shelvock the son of Capt. George Shelvock. Capt. Shelvock was famous for his exploits and wrote the best selling 1726 book entitled "Voyage Around the World By Way of the Great South Seas performed in 1719, 20, 21, 22....", based on his exploits, partly as a privateer 1690-1728 (2nd edition 1757; reprinted 1951). In the book it alleged that HATLEY, a sailor on this expedition, was the Ancient Mariner who shot the Albatross in Coleridge's famous poem. His son George, who travelled with him, later became Secretary to the General Post Office from 1742 to his death in 1760.
These exploits are also retold in the recent book "The Speedwell Voyage" by Kenneth Poolman - The story based on the real-life adventures of George SHELVOCK, commander of the 22-gun privateer Speedwell that set sail in 1718 to steal treasure from Spanish ships in the South Seas. This is the only modern attempt to recount the epic voyage.
There are several reminiscences by the poet William WORDSWORTH concerning the above:
"Written at Alfoxden in the spring of 1798, under circumstances somewhat remarkable. The little girl who is the heroine I met within the area of Goodrich Castle in the year 1793. Having left the Isle of Wight and crossed Salisbury Plain, as mentioned in the preface to "Guilt and Sorrow," I proceeded by Bristol up the Wye, and so on to North Wales, to the Vale of Clwydd, where I spent my summer under the roof of the father of my friend, Robert JONES. In reference to this Poem I will here mention one of the most remarkable facts in my own poetic history and that of Mr. COLERIDGE. In the spring of the year 1798, he, my Sister, and myself, started from Alfoxden, pretty late in the afternoon, with a view to visit Lenton and the valley of Stones near it; and as our united funds were very small, we agreed to defray the expense of the tour by writing a poem, to be sent to the New Monthly Magazine set up by Phillips the bookseller, and edited by Dr. AIKIN. Accordingly we set off and proceeded along the Quantock Hills towards Watchet, and in the course of this walk was planned the poem of the "Ancient Mariner," founded on a dream, as Mr. COLERIDGE said, of his friend, Mr. CRUIKSHANK. Much the greatest part of the story was Mr. COLERIDGE'S invention; but certain parts I myself suggested:--for example, some crime was to be committed which should bring upon the old Navigator, as COLERIDGE afterwards delighted to call him, the spectral persecution, as a consequence of that crime, and his own wanderings. I had been reading in SHELVOCK'S Voyages a day or two before that while doubling Cape Horn they frequently saw Albatrosses in that latitude, the largest sort of sea-fowl, some extending their wings twelve or fifteen feet. "Suppose," said I, "you represent him as having killed one of these birds on entering the South Sea, and that the tutelary Spirits of those regions take upon them to avenge the crime." The incident was thought fit for the purpose and adopted accordingly. I also suggested the navigation of the ship by the dead men, but do not recollect that I had anything more to do with the scheme of the poem. The Gloss with which it was subsequently accompanied was not thought of by either of us at the time; at least, not a hint of it was given to me, and I have no doubt it was a gratuitous afterthought. We began the composition together on that, to me, memorable evening."...

The history of the Shelvock family can be further explored at http://www.geocities.com/gracefiles/shilvock.html]

I was going to respond to the excellent sounding birding trip, but that little lot has blown my mind for the rest of the day. Good job I am at work, should get my faculties back in working order by knock off!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back