• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Preferred on line optics retailers? (1 Viewer)

raptorbfl

Hi,

I am not sure if this type of discussion about opinions of all the major on line
optics retailers is permitted or frowned upon. If so , I apologize and this post
can be deleted.
But I was wondering if you all here have a favorite on line retailer that you typically
purchase your optics from?
Or do many here actually still buy from brick and motor retailers?

Thanks
Michael

Hi,

I am not sure if this type of discussion about opinions of all the major on line
optics retailers is permitted or frowned upon. If so , I apologize and this post
can be deleted.
But I was wondering if you all here have a favorite on line retailer that you typically
purchase your optics from?
Or do many here actually still buy from brick and motor retailers?

Thanks
Michael

I'm for brick and mortar . . . If you get brick and mortar Service.

For 21 years, at Captain's Nautical Supplies, I checked every instrument over $250 on the collimator and checked for things the average consumer wouldn't know to check. And, if something wasn't right--big, important importer, or not--it went back.

I trained my customers, and stood behind my customers. In those 21 years, my boss NEVER gave me an order. And, he stood behind me.

If you can't get caring service, with a liberal return policy, you might as well go with online purchasing. But, for so many, it's just a job.

Bill

Depends on what I am looking for. My "go to" favorites, in no particular order are CLNY, Adorama, B and H Photo, Eagle Optics and Opticscamp. I have purchased from many others but these more than most.

B&H photovideo has the best search capability, so I favor them. The price is usually competitive.
If I had more money and less time I'd use Eagle Optics. Their lineup limited but very fine.
I'll be doing the next (new) buy at a brick-n-mortar, Kittery Trading Post. It's been very informative
testing all the models there, so they deserve business. The prices are good, anyway.

I had a pleasant experience with Optics Planet involving a pair of Bushnell Legend Ultra HD binoculars. Twice I ordered the glasses and both times they arrived with a broken diopter trim ring. Both times they were returned. No shipping costs, no arguments. If you buy over the net, this kind of service is nice.

Yes, I think all the well known optical on line retailers are honest and reputable and accept returns in 30 days...

Eagle Optics, SWFA, Adorama, B&H, Optics4Birding, Birdwatching.com, Sports Optics, Cabelas, Bass Pro Shops,
Cameraland, binoculars.com, Hayneedle, Newegg, Out of this World, Amazon, SportsmenWarehouse, Vortex Optics, Zen-Ray, MidwayUSA, Optics Planet, Lancaster Archery Supply, REI, Crutchfield, Eurooptic.

Have a missed any?!

Last edited:
There may be others, but I've had very satisfactory dealings with Adorama from the other side of the globe, particularly with a product that wasn't up to scratch. They were very helpful and this stands out particularly as the actual product supplier was completely MIA |:x| . For this reason I have utilised Adorama since and have been very happy with the prices and service. Always reassurring when you're sitting here effectively 'blind' in the middle of whoop whoop. I would recommend them.

I have also found Camera Land NY and Zen-Ray direct to be very helpful.

Chosun :gh:

I would like to give a mention to Graf and Sons, Mexico, Missouri for outstanding good ol' Southern customer service. They are one of a few retailers that I use without hesitation.

They occasionally have a few backlist bargains : http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/search/keywords/binoculars/page/1?

cant beat that anywhere!

On this side of the pond bricks & mortar sellers are always the best bet ; not a 10x42 but I've just walked out of a high street chain with a virtually new ex-demo Zeiss Conquest HD 8x42 for $425.00.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back