• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good field guides on world species. (1 Viewer)

Tiraya

San Diego CA
United Kingdom
I have a personal project involving all of the world's species, wondered if anyone knew any good field guides that illustrates all species, and both male and female plumage differences if any.

Its really hard trying to find good photographic references of some species online, i.e. Calothorax pulcher (Beautiful Sheartail), Chlorostilbon auriceps (Golden-crowned Emerald) and Pirre Hummingbird to name a mere few.

Some guides illustrating visual differences between some of the Emeralds in Chlorostilbon would be nice too.

Last edited:
Actually, its a video game I am programming which involves collecting data on hummingbird species throughout the storyline. I wanted to aim for inclusion of all 330ish extant species.

I just need decent illustrations (preferably side views) of males and females, and dorsal tail views. For each species I need to compose an image set like seen here: http://i1050.photobucket.com/albums/s405/DolphinsongMelody/ex.png

Thanks for that link. Handbook of the Birds of the World: Volume 05 looks like the closest, but its a bit expensive.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back