• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Minolta digital slr? (1 Viewer)

Woody

Hi All,

Andy Bright mentioned on another thread that he has a feeling that Minolta will be bringing out a digital slr soon and it got me thinking. Since I am saddled with Minolta kit (I wish I wasn't, but that's another thread!) I wondered if anybody knows anything about a possible rival for the Canon 300D?

I want to 'go digital' whilst my Minolta 404si still has some trade in value! But I have held off selling it in the hope that Minolta would be developing a 300d equivalent, that way I wouldn't have to buy new lenses and converters etc.

Thanks in advance

Woody

Hi Woody,
Here's some blurb on the Minolta dslr, someone said an Autumn release date?

The Dynax 7 Digital/Maxxum 7 Digital will accept the Minolta A mount, compatible with the full range of Minolta AF lenses, as well as Dynax/Maxxum system accessories. Combining the best of established 35mm system photography with digital photography affords photographers the ability to more fully express themselves than ever before.

The Dynax 7 Digital/Maxxum 7 Digital is also equipped with the same technically sophisticated and highly effective CCD Shift-type Anti-Shake function, which has earned an excellent reputation in the DiMAGE A1 (SLR- type digital camera with built-in lens). As the Anti-Shake function is built into the camera body and not the lens, it is effective for the entire range of Minolta AF lenses.

Thanks to the intuitive control layout being carried over from the three-time international award winning** and popular 35mm film AF SLR camera Dynax 7/Maxxum 7, the Dynax 7 Digital/Maxxum 7 Digital is both a user-friendly and compatible design for 35mm film SLR camera users, enabling a smooth shift over to digital. Utilizing an APS-C sized 6 mega pixel CCD and advanced image processing technology, the resulting exquisite detail from highlights to shadows will satisfy even the most demanding photographers.

And here's a bit about it on dpreview
Maxxum7digital

With it's built-in image stabilisation, I think you may need to rephrase your 'saddled with Minolta kit' to 'Blessed with Minolta kit' ;) Although built-in image stabilisation will be seen in many dslrs in the future.

Woody said:
Hi All,

Andy Bright mentioned on another thread that he has a feeling that Minolta will be bringing out a digital slr soon and it got me thinking. Since I am saddled with Minolta kit (I wish I wasn't, but that's another thread!) I wondered if anybody knows anything about a possible rival for the Canon 300D?

I want to 'go digital' whilst my Minolta 404si still has some trade in value! But I have held off selling it in the hope that Minolta would be developing a 300d equivalent, that way I wouldn't have to buy new lenses and converters etc.

Thanks in advance

Woody

Thanks Andy,

The big question is; How much?!!

I must admit that IS sounds like a big plus.

I have tried a mates Canon 300d and loved it. He bought into the Canon eos range at about the same time as I bought my 404si and he now has several lenses, converters etc, all of which work fine with the digital version. That's a big saving!

The downsides of the 404 have been; Used market is nowhere near as good as Canon. At least one (cheap 500mm mirror) lens, which I actually bought, was not compatible despite the assurance that it would be from a well known photographic shop. The same supplier has own brand cable releases that fit all other makes except Minolta, despite what it said in the catalogue. Their price £20 the Minolta release I had to buy £50... That kind of thing irritates me enormously, it's just manufacturers holding customers by the short and curlies. I wish I had gone with Canon, that's why I say saddled with!

All that said the Minolta 404si is a great camera for my needs but now the time has come to go digital before it becomes worthless as trade in.

Woody

Woody, that's what I found yesterday. I traded in my Nikon 35mm stuff and was told that a few months down the line I would have got very little for it. However,, being Nikon, I got more for it thant I would have if it had been something like Vivitar...

Woody said:
The big question is; How much?!!

Warehouseexpress now have this camera listed - due November 04 - RRP £1149 - so not really aimed to rival the eos 300d... who knows if we get lucky the prices might drop....

I've also got a Minolta slr and really don't want to go for another brand in dslr and have to re-buy lenses.... though with the price of the canon it may be cheaper!

Last edited:
postcardcv said:
Warehouseexpress now have this camera listed - due November 04 - RRP £1149 - so not really aimed to rival the eos 300d... who knows if we get lucky the prices might drop....

I've also got a Minolta slr and really don't want to go for another brand in dslr and have to re-buy lenses.... though with the price of the canon it may be cheaper!

That's decided me on the Canon then!

Woody

Woody said:
That's decided me on the Canon then!

Woody

Just noticed on warehouseexpress that it now has a £100 cashback offer - so you can get it with an 18-55 lens for £499 (after the rebate). Also an offer where you get a free 256mb cf card free when you register the online with Canon.

Now looks an excellent choice - just wish I could afford it...

postcardcv said:
Just noticed on warehouseexpress that it now has a £100 cashback offer - so you can get it with an 18-55 lens for £499 (after the rebate). Also an offer where you get a free 256mb cf card free when you register the online with Canon.

Now looks an excellent choice - just wish I could afford it...

Cheers Postie!

I'm going to check it out more seriously now as Christmas if fast approaching.

Woody

Anyone actually seen the Minolta SLR yet and have any comments? Its available for £999 on Warehouse Express.

I have Minolta gear including 2 x 35mm bodies (best a Dynax 5) and Sigma lenses (will they fit/work on the new camera).

I could possibly buy a Canon DSLR system for the price of the Minolta. Should I stick with my current system then?

Last edited:
The Nikon dslr's lenses should be compatible with a lot of the Nikon 35mm film cameras. That works very well for people like myself who have middle age eyes. And save us a lot of money also.

Mike Pennington said:
Anyone actually seen the Minolta SLR yet and have any comments? Its available for £999 on Warehouse Express.

I have Minolta gear including 2 x 35mm bodies (best a Dynax 5) and Sigma lenses (will they fit/work on the new camera).

I could possibly buy a Canon DSLR system for the price of the Minolta. Should I stick with my current system then?

The Minolta 7d is very competitive,
even more so if you already have minolta lenses
(you get image stabilization for ALL your lensens..)
very good handling with some "analoglue SLR feel" (subjective) and the best/brightest (objective) viewfinder (of all the prosumer DSLR:s),
Low noise for higher ISO-settings even though the sensor is CCD and not CMOS.

specifications:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0409/04091504km7d.asp

sample images:
http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/?gallery=konicaminolta7d_preview/
http://konicaminolta.com/products/consumer/digital_camera/slr/dynax-7d/sampleimage.html

reviews:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/minolta-7d.shtml
http://www.ephotozine.com/equipment/tests/testdetail.cfm?test_id=331

Point made

gorank said:
The Minolta 7d is very competitive,
even more so if you already have minolta lenses
(you get image stabilization for ALL your lensens..)
very good handling with some "analoglue SLR feel" (subjective) and the best/brightest (objective) viewfinder (of all the prosumer DSLR:s),
Low noise for higher ISO-settings even though the sensor is CCD and not CMOS.

specifications:
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0409/04091504km7d.asp

sample images:
http://www.dpreview.com/gallery/?gallery=konicaminolta7d_preview/
http://konicaminolta.com/products/consumer/digital_camera/slr/dynax-7d/sampleimage.html

reviews:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/minolta-7d.shtml
http://www.ephotozine.com/equipment/tests/testdetail.cfm?test_id=331

I get the point quite well, Stabilization is very important for me, since i have a nasty hand shake. I hope to in time find lenses for the nikons with stabilizer at a competative price. I wouldn't mess up so many picts.

With respect to the Maxxum 7D, I've read nothing but good about it. It's main problem seems to be non-availability. Adorama or B&H Photo (I forget which) is now projecting a 24 December delivery date (no doubt to be delivered by a Jolly Fat Man in a red suit). However, there is now a rebate of sorts on the 7D to take some of the sting out of late delivery: a 2 year warranty and a 90 day, $150 store coupon towards purchase of Minolta AF lenses.

i've had a quick go with it, but not an extensive test. Seems like a great camera to me. I've been waiting for it since it was announced last feb!! and now I can't afford it.

There's several people who have it already over at www.dynaxdigital.com and they all seem very pleased with their new toy.

Minolta after Xmas

Let's hope that early in the new year, When more are imported of the 7D, that the price will come down.This Camera with it's AS has got to be a good choice for wildlife photography at this end of the DSLR market.
It has got my attention at the moment, Come on Down warehouse express !

Regards Digimad.

yep, it seems ot be getting pretty good reviews across the board so if the price can come down just a bit more I reckon it's going to be a popular choice for those that aren't already loyal to any other brands.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back