• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping beginners (1 Viewer)

I have been looking into the vortex brand spotting scopes to begin my digiscoping hobby. Swarovski is just way out of my price range, well not really but I can’t justify spending that much for that equipment. Has anyone here ever used vortex brand or perhaps a different brand? We are using the Nikon dslr 750. Thanks

I've tried it, albeit for the moon, with an astronomy telescope that allows interchangeable eyepieces. The SV60EDS from Stellarvue costs $500 and is very well corrected for color. I used a M4/3 adapter, a T-ring and a 2x barlow to hook up to my E-M5. Stability (connection between scope and camera) and balance is an issue that I haven't worked out how to fix yet. With my Pentax spotting scope and XW14 eyepiece I've digiscoped merely by holding a Canon G15 P&S pressed down on the eyepiece, and this was actually a more solid setup since the camera's lens and XW14 are about the same diameter and can simply be held in place with two fingers, but then the P&S image quality isn't as good. I suspect the D750 is going to be a heavy camera to balance properly, I'd look to use a smaller camera to digiscope.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back