• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bins to complement photography? (1 Viewer)

Hi,

well, now that was a somber review... this sounds like you might get a case of upgradeditis soon, so if you have not yet committed to keep the Ultravids, I strongly recommend to try to get a look through a Zeiss FL 8x32 and a Nikon EDG II 8x32.
Both will be close to perfection optically and address your problems with CA and Coma - the EDG will also have the best field flattening money can buy. The Zeiss on the other hand is also small and light...

Joachim

Somber is probably not how I would describe my feeling toward them, but just giving an honest opinion. I am happy with them. There's also the completely irrational desire for me to have a set of Leica's to go along with my Leica camera, so there's that. Coma as mentioned is really a non-issue for me and was only apparent when viewing point sources of light at night near the edge of the view. Overall, I think these are fantastic and present a reasonable set of compromises for me. I especially appreciate the more qualitative things of the image as they relate to bokeh, color, and just the general scene they seem to draw. It's very pleasing and enjoyable.

Maybe the Zeiss FL T* 8x32 would be better in some areas, especially for the good price I got the leica's for and in great shape. If one thing was clear to me after looking through a bunch of well regarded binoculars was that the differences are pretty minor at & above a certain price point.... at least to what I can see.

Also take this "review" above with a very large grain of salt as I'm very new to the world of binoculars in general.

edit: and thought I'd attach a picture from this weekend that shows more or less what I'm talking about with regard to CA. Granted, this has been edited a bit (levels, contrast, & color), some CA was removed, but some still remains. This was taken through one side of the UVHD+ with my cell phone. Was hard to get things aligned right, but it was fun.

Attachments

• eagle.jpg
    eagle.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
I like the pic, very nice..That is my next step taking pics through a nice glass, not yet though, since that would be mean an up grade of my smart phone.
Enjoy the view and congrats on your new glass.

A.W.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back