• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sierra Leone in November for African Pitta etc (1 Viewer)

baseline

Hi All,

I'm going to Sierra Leone in November (this year!), dates approx. 10th-20th, and wondering if anyone else is interested in joining?

I've already made a partial booking with Kenneth Gbengba, one of the few local guides in the region, and we've agreed on an itinerary (bog-standard - Tiwai and Gola plus whatever other sites can be factored in en route).

African Pitta is my key motivation for going. Should further incentive be required though, other key species will include WNPicathartes, Egyptian Plover, WBGuineafowl, Rufous Fishing Owl, Fraser's and Akun Eagle Owls, RSBroadbill, a wedge of Upper Guinea endemics etc, as well as loads of primates and a stab at Pygmy Hippo.

Please feel free to PM to express interest or ask for more details!

Cheers,

Tim

Dates are now fixed, and there are still a space or two available! Flights are UK to Freetown on 9th Nov; then departure evening of 19th Nov (Day 10) for an overnight return to UK.

Did your trip go ahead. If so could you give me a rough idea on the costs(excluding flights) and contacts on the ground. Was it a great success.

Regards

Richard

Yes it went ahead Richard! But it was *not* a great success bird-wise, as we were extremely unlucky with the weather. The wet season just kept on going, despite my trip being timed to be c. 6 weeks into the dry season. I'm tempted to try again some time! Will PM re costs.

Would love to hear more detail, baseline. No worries if you don't have time though.
Cheers,
Andy.

Ps. Sometimes trips with problems make the most valuable reports I think...!

Last edited:
Hi Andy,

I'm currently working my way through Laos and Cambodia, then back into Vietnam shortly, but happy to pen a few details about my SL trip when I get a mo! Probably as soon as I get fogged off and hotel-bound at Dalat...

Tim

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back