• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Walk On the Pacific Slope, Mexico (1 Viewer)

Hi Sue,
I'm assuming the river otter your friends saw was in the San Lorenzo area? Are you seeing anything of mammals in Bara outside those you've already mentioned? What about Caymans and alligators. Saw some big ones in PV.

I assume you keep a list of the birds you're seeing there. Any chance of having a gander at it? I didn't when I was there and now I'm curious. Never ending boat chore lists were enough to discourage me from keeping any other kind of lists, too much like work. It's different now.

On a side note both you and I were lucky to see the sleepy, remote San Lorenzo side of Gatun lake when we did. The new giant super highway bridge across the Colon ship anchorage is going to completely change that side of the lake. While we were there last winter the rich Panamanians and gringos were buying as much bargain peasant land as they could. Going to turn into a suburb soon. Goodbye Jaguarundi me thinks.
Yes, the otters were on San Lorenzo Road. I don't know if you ever walked it and went into the National Park. There is a small river right before the Park entrance. They were in it. I did see alligators there, but I haven't seen any here in Barra. The only other mammals I've seen here are a raccoon (twice) and squirrels. Some people staying at the hotel told me yesterday that they saw monkeys near the golf course. I'm really surprised that there is so much wildlife here--it's not that remote. I'm happy about it though, makes good birding. Here is a list for Barra. I don't think I've left anything off, but I might have. I just added the White-throated Thrush though and I first saw it in 2014! I also noticed I put down Shiny Cowbird rather than Brown-headed! ;) I'm getting senile.
http://birdingaboardperegrine.blogspot.mx/p/barra-de-navidad-bird-list.html

Last edited:
Hi Sue,

On a side note both you and I were lucky to see the sleepy, remote San Lorenzo side of Gatun lake when we did. The new giant super highway bridge across the Colon ship anchorage is going to completely change that side of the lake. While we were there last winter the rich Panamanians and gringos were buying as much bargain peasant land as they could. Going to turn into a suburb soon. Goodbye Jaguarundi me thinks.

There were rumours about the bridge when we lived in Panama; sad to see it happen.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back