• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

White-backed Vulture in the WP (1 Viewer)

Acrocephalus

Morocco
While writing on the MaghrebOrnitho blog about the White-backed Vulture photographed last July at Jbel Moussa, I checked the WP records at Tarsiger.com and found that the species still in category D in Portugal (even the bird seen in August 2014 was not counted). Is this still the case (Cat D from the point of view of the Portuguese Rarities Committee) or Tarsiger.com just didn’t update their page?

Mohamed, I think as it stands the 2 Portuguese records are still in category D but always changeable in the light of any new information on occurrence of WBV in Iberia and Morocco. I heard from a Spanish birder I met in Portugal about 2 years ago that a windfarm in the Strait in Spain had recorded 3 (!) inds. Regarding acceptence in Portugal maybe one of the BF Portuguese members can cast more light. FWIW, I think they are more likely to be wild than escapes....

Thanks Simon! I think so too, there is now enough information to change the category (I can't judge the first bird, but at least the second is like the birds seen in Morocco and Spain).

I hope the wind farm recorded the birds alive because (as everyone knows) one of the birds seen in Spain collided with an aerogenerator and died the same day.

p.s. here are the photos of the recent Moroccan bird if anyone wants to have a look.

To complete the picture, here is the photo of the Egyptian bird (March 2017)

This species is still category D in Portugal for a number of reasons, but basically because the species back in 2006 (only accepted record so far) was still pretty much unknown to migrate this further north, and Ruppell's Vultures were still very rare (now they are frequent).

So at the time it was put in Category D and since then the Committee stopped publishing reports (6-7 years late as of writing). It seems to be defrosting so maybe it will get updated to cat A soon-ish, probably when the record from 2014 gets accepted.

Hope this was helpful.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back