• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panama: old Gamboa Road? (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
What is the current access rules to this site? For a while I was rumored to be closed, but I found several visits in 2017 to the location, so is there anyone who knows what is going on?

thanks
Niels

Niels do you know Carlos, Kilo, Benny, or any of the the other Panamanian guides? If not I can ping them and ask but I figured you might have one of them as FB friends or something before I hassle :)

Went with Kilo there last year, but only to the very start while waiting for my flight on the last day - other birders there and no indication that we were restricted by anything other than a lack of time.

I have just been in the Canopy Camp. The local guide we had there told me that access is accepted to the Summit ponds, that access much north of there is absolutely closed, but access to the rest of the south end of the road depends on who is checking the area. The Federal police are ok with you being there, but the canal police will not tolerate you there. If a company want to go there they have to apply 3 days in advance to the canal police to be sure there are not problems.

Niels

I wonder if the golf course end of old gamboa road (jet antbird stakeout) has any barriers now as you used to able to access that area with little difficulty and walk to the ponds. There used to be a Spectacled owl stakeout approx midway to the ponds from that end. I suspect it's after the ponds towards the manakin spot where you will encounter more problems. When I was there that area was restricted, though I took no notice.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back