• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Humour me :) (1 Viewer)

KC Foggin

Very, very long time member
Supporter
United States
At first I thought it was a Savannah Sparrow but after I got my scope set on it, it turned around and I saw the white edges on the tail and I'm thinking Lark which would be a life bird for me. I have other photos if needed. Thanks

Attachments

• 011104digisparrow.jpg
    011104digisparrow.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 259
It appears to be a Lark Sparrow on first look. Not up to speed on New World Sparrows thought, so I'm off to look at a book!

Yes, Jane has it correct KC. That is a Lark Sparrow. I believe it is one of the "neatest" sparrows we have here in North America. Nice photo.

Last edited:
Jane Turner said:
It appears to be a Lark Sparrow on first look. Not up to speed on New World Sparrows thought, so I'm off to look at a book!
Yes I'll second that. The tail pattern is diognostic if I remember correctly. I am guessing this is a 1st winter bird?

HTH
Regards
Tristan

Thank you all and come to find out from my local newspaper birding editor, this is a very, very rare visitor to SC. One he hasn't seen here in years. Yes! I love having one up on.:bounce:

lark sparrow

KCFoggin said:
At first I thought it was a Savannah Sparrow but after I got my scope set on it, it turned around and I saw the white edges on the tail and I'm thinking Lark which would be a life bird for me. I have other photos if needed. Thanks
KC:Looks like a perfect specimen lifted straight out of Peterson's page 298.Congrats on your lifer.
Sam

Well, I had no idea how much attention this bird would garner. I have had no less than 2 dozen emails asking for exact location of this Lark Sparrow. Kind of a neat feeling :)

Hi KC,
Nice pics of a Lark Sparrow!While I have never seen the species,this is what I'd expect to see if I did.Well done!
Harry H

Thanks all. I'm telling you, my office phone has been ringing off the hook all day for directions to this bird which presents a bit of a sticky problem because it is on school grounds. Not a problem during the weekend but during the school day, a bunch of birders with bins and cameras might present a problem in this very cautious world today.

It really has been a huge eye opener for me at just how many serious listers are in my area. I find some more interested in the bird for the list rather than the bird itself but I guess to each his own. Good possiblity I will never see one again so I feel a bit blessed. :)

Oh yes, and I am not entirely sure I will ever do this again.

The problem concerns the fact that it was found on school grounds. Most are sensitive to this during the school day but some are a bit hard headed. I've been sent a rare bird alert form to fill out and when that is posted I'm sure it will get worse and there is supposed to be an item in tomorrows birding section of the newspaper.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back