• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yet more Kenyan birds (1 Viewer)

Andrew S

Kentish Mother
Some more Kenyan unidentified/doubtful birds - if I can get these then that's that trip sorted out...

Again, all were September or early October 1994.

Locations:

1. Maasai Mara
2. Lake Nakuru NP
3.-5. Tsavo NP

Thanks for any contributions.

Andrew

Attachments

• ks2-14.jpg
    ks2-14.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 237
  • ks4-13.jpg
    ks4-13.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 257
  • Ks6-27.jpg
    Ks6-27.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 242
  • Ks7-07.jpg
    Ks7-07.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 239
  • Ks7-13.jpg
    Ks7-13.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 242
only slightly more than guesses
1--Ruppels Vulture
2--Greater Blue-eared Starling
see (photo by Jankees):
5986Vogel_2.jpg

3--Sooty Chat (looks familiar but can't think of it)
4-- Brown Snake Eagle (light feathering, dark tips, barred tail combined with Short-toed Eagle appearance.
5--same as 4?
sorry Andrew, it doesn't help I know but..
I suppose someone knowledgeable will come to the rescue soon
regards
HouseCrow

Last edited:
For raptors, I agree with HouseCrow.

#1 subadult Ruppell's Griffon (2 wing linings ruling out white-backed)
#4 juvenile Brown Snake Eagle
#5 adult Brown Snake Eagle ;)

No 2 reminds me of Northern Anteater Chat - it has that "chunky" feel to it which the Sooty Chat doesn't.

Agree on the Vulture, Starling and no 5 as a Brown Snake Eagle not sure about the flight shot).

Tim Allwood said:
2 a Boubou (Tropical?)

maybe Slate-coloured

Tropical is black and white except for a rare dark morph found at the coast.

I thought about a Boubou but the bill doesn't appear to have the shrike-type hook to the tip (although it does look quite heavy).

cheers for the Boubou info Helen

Housecrow, that tail in the pic you posted surely isn't square? I think the species is right however!

Last edited:
Tim Allwood said:
cheers for the Boubou info Helen

...QUOTE]
Tim,

I'm still worried about the bill for a Chat (I sound like an advert for BT). But I'm just not sure about the bill shape when it comes to a Slate-coloured Boubou - I've attached a Boubou for comparison.

Helen

Attachments

• scb.jpg
    scb.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 236
Tim Allwood said:
very similar
...maybe a boubou after all
the gape line seems to extend very far back towards the eye......
Unfortunately the same is true of the Northern Anteater Chat! I think my original id was based on the fact that there may be a hint of a paler colour showing in the wing (although that may have been the lager). I'm more and more drawn to your id but I wonder if Andrew has any other shots from any other angles?

Helen

Andrews chat has a 'wheateary feel' and Helens bird looks a bit different with a strongly curved, thick bill
but then, what do i know.

square tail: hm, well squarish?
square is when outer tailfeathers are as long as centrals, am i right?
so when spread they make an arch, like in the picture I attached...
Or am i talking complete nonsense here?

I'm afraid I don't have any more shots of this. My gut feeling (in part memory) is that it is a chat, and probably NAC. We certainly saw chats, as we saw the white in the wings. At the time I thought they were all NAC, but didn't really consider Sooty Chat (which wasn't illustrated in my book), and some of my Maasai Mara photos were definitely Sooty. Didn't claim Slate-coloured (or any) Boubou for the trip, despite this bird being illustrated. Looks to me as though NAC would be more likely than Sooty at Nakuru.

I think from memory it was fairly open roadside habitat (and will have been taken from the car window).

I will try to rescan the slide when I get home and see if I can reveal some more colour detail on it.

Last edited:
Here's another scan of the Chat/Boubou, +2 stops on exposure and fiddling around with the levels, which doesn't get us that far, but I think you can see a definite brownish colour which points towards a chat.

I have also done a high resolution scan of that whitish tuft at the base of the tail, which now just looks like a bit of stray black feather and not anything white.

More upright stance than a Boubou?

Attachments

• chat2a.jpg
    chat2a.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 226
  • chat3.jpg
    chat3.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
Thanks for the rescan. I'm back with the Northern Anteater Chat. The bill doesn't look sufficiently shrike-like in the enhanced image.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back