• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with i.d. (1 Viewer)

AnnieW

I had been fairly certain this was a tree pipit until it took off - then voice didn't sound at all right. I could have been watching one bird & hearing something else I guess; there was ALOT of noise around !! So what do you guys reckon this is ??

Attachments

• Pipit.jpg
    Pipit.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 599
Last edited:
I always trust sound when it comes to Pipits. What did it call like? Its hard to tell from a pic like this, but you could make a decent case for Tripit on plumage but the bill looks a little weedy

Jane Turner said:
I always trust sound when it comes to Pipits. What did it call like? Its hard to tell from a pic like this, but you could make a decent case for Tripit on plumage but the bill looks a little weedy
Jane - I'd originally thought Tripit as the head markings were quite pronounced with quite an obvious eye-stripe (that doesn't really show up too well in the photo) and the breast streaking didn't extend down to the lower breast. The underparts were predominantly a dullish grey. It was also moving from tree to tree (which I didn't think the Mippit generally did) with only very brief forays into the open.

However, the flight call was more like the mippit's `seep-seep-seep - tseut' but without the final trill. The parachuting descent was very pronounced, with the head thrown back a long way. At one point there were 2 of them engaged in an aerial parachuting ballet - but the 2nd didn't settle & disappeared before I could get a decent look at it !!

AnnieW said:
Jane - I'd originally thought Tripit as the head markings were quite pronounced with quite an obvious eye-stripe (that doesn't really show up too well in the photo) and the breast streaking didn't extend down to the lower breast. The underparts were predominantly a dullish grey. It was also moving from tree to tree (which I didn't think the Mippit generally did) with only very brief forays into the open.

However, the flight call was more like the mippit's `seep-seep-seep - tseut' but without the final trill. The parachuting descent was very pronounced, with the head thrown back a long way. At one point there were 2 of them engaged in an aerial parachuting ballet - but the 2nd didn't settle & disappeared before I could get a decent look at it !!

Then that sort of settles it Annie. Mipits will go arboreal, often when then are singing. Bright male Mipit!

Jane Turner said:
Then that sort of settles it Annie. Mipits will go arboreal, often when then are singing. Bright male Mipit!
Ok - thanks for that Jane. All the descriptions of Mipit behaviour I could lay my hands on yesterday, seemed to suggest that they only rarely ventuerd in to trees. I've just listened to a couple of Mipit recordings; the song was definatley Mipitish - but as I said without the disctinctive end trill. Mipit with laryngitis ;)

What about the eye stripe ? I know Mipit's can show a fair old range of plumage variations - but I always thought the eye stripe was a dead cert. for Tripit :h?:

Pipits confuse me - should be banned from appearing near novices !!

I'll be heading out to walk the dog shortly, in the same area as I saw this chap yesterday. It's a much brighter day, so I'll keep my eyes open for him & see if I can get a better look (& perhaps shot).

I find most plumage features in the Mipit/tripit pair to be inconclusive in many cases. Mipits can have huge supers.. hang on I'll find one! The breast streaking, notably the change in streak shape is a fairly reliable feature, but in the end bill shape and call are by far the most reliable.

OK - two Mipits upper and two Tree Pipits lower culled from the gallery. A Mipit in a tree and one with a huge super to be confusing then two pretty dull Tree Pipits. However look how the flank streaking of the Tree Pipits becomes very thin, they have stouter bills and look to have longer wing to tail ratios.....

Nothing beats them going tszzzzzzzzzz as opposed to sip sip sip though as an id character!

Attachments

• BF.JPG
    BF.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 701
Hi Jane,
I remember those pics!While I STILL haven't managed Tree Pipit here,and have not now seen one anywhere since Sep.99,I agree that the bill seems to be a constant feature,and that even those Meadows with finer flank streaking(have 'ticked' Tree in the past due to such birds on a headland,but have long since unticked them) don't show such an abrupt change in thickness.
Harry

Jane Turner said:
OK - two Mipits upper and two Tree Pipits lower culled from the gallery. A Mipit in a tree and one with a huge super to be confusing then two pretty dull Tree Pipits. However look how the flank streaking of the Tree Pipits becomes very thin, they have stouter bills and look to have longer wing to tail ratios.....

Nothing beats them going tszzzzzzzzzz as opposed to sip sip sip though as an id character!
Well, that's as a clear as mud now ;)

Seriously, thanks for providing the comparison. Looking at the other photos of my bird, the overall general shape, particularly the bill bears more similarity to the top right Mipit. They really shouldn't be allowed to confuse people by sitting in trees !!

I was up in the same area this morning but no pipits - 'tis always the way. There was, however, a rather impressive aerial display by 5 buzzards over the hill & 5 swallows as compensation.

I always found pipits so easy - in a tree = Tree Pipit, on a moorland or moorland rock = Meadow Pipit, on a rock by the sea = Rock Pipit.

Seriously though, thanks for all this info, I've found it very informative, as usual.

There's so much to learn!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back